• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian members and their Vehicles.

ChubbsMcGee

The biggest problem with owning a Cdn deuce is registering it we haven't solved that problem yet but we are working on it.
What is the problem with owning a deuce, meaning registering it. Why does this country make it so hard for people to enjoy our Hobbies!!!!!:!::!::!::!:

ChubbsMcGee

I would like to throw something out there, yes again.

I don't know if anyone has done this but we need to locate as many junkyards as possible and just make a call and ask if the have any EX-Military vehicles of any kind in there yard. If they do well I know with the economy right now a lot of us don't have disposable money right now but at least if we locate vehicles we can post them on here or Kijiji or even Ebay and maybe they will be bought up and restored or used to finish other projects!

If our Canadian members made a list from there areas and sent them to me I would even do all the calling if need be or just keep an eye on the list so we didn't make repeat calls to the same yard.

Let me know what ya think guys! Am I thinking crazy??

Last edited:

WPNS421

Believe it or not I had breakfast with memebers of the Royal 22e Regiment(Infantry) and the guy sitting next to me was a former Chief of Defence (top ranking Cdn general) and when I asked the question he told me that the Dept of Defence wanted to disassociate themselves with these vehicles, so if a former military vehicle had a negative newsmaking incident the military would say they were not reponsible because they sold the vehicle and the new owner registered the vehicle. I have sent a letter to the Minister of National Defence and my member of parliment with this problem, no answer yet. Will post the result of my efforts. Let's not be discorage about it, we will prevail.:-D:-D:-D:!::!:

ChubbsMcGee

Whats the problem with owning APC's? We can own a British Chieftain MBT and we can't own a APC? I know the US Government will not allow there MV's to be bought, own or delivered to certain countires throughout the world, but Canada is not on that list!
We as Canadians can purchase and import US Mv's and own them.
Maybe I missed something with the issue of 22b's APC, but if it's a US vehicle then there shouldn't be an issue as far as I know?:roll:

Dafman314

The US military has has last say on who may or may not own U.S. built APC,s and they have siezed them from private collecters even those living in the U.S.There is no "end user " docterine for British armour thats why there is so much of it out there even our british vehicals have been "Writen off"

Last edited:

Dafman314

I work with Linc and Weld at the museum!and Our APC,s are on loan from the War Museum in Ottawa!As a matter of fact if DND needed these APCs for service we would have to give them back!

Last edited:

WPNS421

APC's and M548 (cargo version)are regularly sold through dealers in the US, if you read the MVPA magazine there is a company in New Mexico that has M548's for sale ($31,000), a dealer in Idaho recently sold am M548 to a private individual as well they sell them to companies. The M113 is a different case because they are still being used by the military. In Canada they have gone through many upgrades ie streched bodies, external fuel tanks etc the latest thing I have seen is rubber tracks, Yea rubber!! really neat less noise,vibrations and anyone who has ever changed an APC track this is a piece of cake. The M113 was built in the early 60's and is still used by many militaries all over the world. This is still an excellent piece of kit made in the US. :-DI would dearly love to find a Cdn Lynx APC to restore, if anyone has one send me a message, APCs are like hen's teeth impossible to find:cry:

ChubbsMcGee

I would like to throw something out there, yes again.

I don't know if anyone has done this but we need to locate as many junkyards as possible and just make a call and ask if the have any EX-Military vehicles of any kind in there yard. If they do well I know with the economy right now a lot of us don't have disposable money right now but at least if we locate vehicles we can post them on here or Kijiji or even Ebay and maybe they will be bought up and restored or used to finish other projects!

If our Canadian members made a list from there areas and sent them to me I would even do all the calling if need be or just keep an eye on the list so we didn't make repeat calls to the same yard.

Let me know what ya think guys! Am I thinking crazy??
Just case anyone missed this post! :roll:

maritimer

ditto , i have to look outside of the province for most of the parts i need for my cucv let alone anything else, BUT on a good not i found a canadian duece up the road buried in a pile of stuff and gonna go see about rescuing it.

ChubbsMcGee

My brother has told me just recently that one of our local junks yards use the body of a tank years ago to crush cars. Now my luck it's since been gone to the steel god, I know I know negative waves. I am going to do my PI work and see that just maybe it got pushed off to the side or back of their yard and left there.
There is a group of guys that are in the army reserves down here that scored a free Centurion tank less motor a trans. They plan on putting it on display at our local armories. :-D

Time to pipe up. Yes we are a museum but a number of members and some assciates have their own rides inc Halftarack CCKW weasal CUCV and one associate has a couple of dozen WW2 vehicles. I myself would love to have one but retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be as family problems have crept in and in the interim I've taken over a bad mortgage to remedy the problem. I could have a couple of vehicles with the money invested, yet I do have equity so who knows when things get sorted out and I sell. I imagine younger members are weeping on the dashboard when that newborn is due.
As for vehicles I have seen a couple of MLVWs sell in Dec out of Wnnipeg inc a streched w HIAB and a half dozen Iltis trailers sold last month out of Halifax. Check the Crown Assets Distribution website as it's the regulating body for surplus. Many Iltis part lots have sold but at a premium. In my infinite stupidity I missed a triwall of parts inc Grizzly parts that sold for 146 bucks. I know where there are 4 lynxs (no diffs or engines) and I've gotten parts but am working on a hull, before the scrap dealer gets a call. Also looking at a scrap Grizzly for parts when we get things sorted out with the LCMM at DND.
22B does have a Lynx and an M113 as well as some guy in the states and a guy in Britain. These were obtained prior to 911 and then the rules changed. Prior to that our museum had been offered anything from the US inventory under Salt reduction talks. We only had to apply. They would have done all the paperwork We only had to pay shipping but from where we wouldn't know until told. It could have been as close Fort Drum or even the West coast. Sorry we declined the offer. Also the OMVA is having a parts swap meet at the Acton Legion on Feb 7 for Ontario members who don't know of it. Well, that's enough for now. I need my bowl of oatmeal to reduce my colesterol 7 points in 30 days.(LOL) I hope this thread keeps moving as Canadian members could mutually benefit each other in this fairly devoid of GREEN METAL enviroment.
Smith out

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks