• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian members and their Vehicles.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ifta

Canadian colleagues,

I read this thread (and other, similar ones) and post here, seeing how we do not have a Canada forum.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/67858-fuel-sticker-viloation-nc-10.html

Most provinces/territories are part of the IFTA agreement (here is Ontario: International Fuel Tax Agreement)

Not sure how your trucks are registered, but at first glance the fact that three axles REGARDLESS of weight make a vehicle an "eligible vehicle" would mean that we, too, would need a fuel tax sticker...

Opinions, anyone?

WPNS421

What ban are you talking about, there is no ban on the Iltis. The only ban that applies to Cdn vehicles is with the MLVW. If the vehicle is registered you can register it to your name just like anyother vehicle. There are no special rules or regulations concerning the ILTIS.

budman67

Sorry,poor choice of words,if I understand what you are saying,only
the MLVW cannot be registered for the road if bought today. So if I
bought a Iltis from the sales yard today I could register it for the road?

I was under the impression from the posts in this thread that the
Canadian Government didn't want these surplus vehicles on the road?

Last edited:

WPNS421

I guarantee you that if the vehicle had been registered it will be transferred to your name with no problems. The only ban there is on Cdn MVs is with the MLVW. I will be atacking again DND after the elections. Gilles

budman67

Canadian colleagues,

I read this thread (and other, similar ones) and post here, seeing how we do not have a Canada forum.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/67858-fuel-sticker-viloation-nc-10.html

Most provinces/territories are part of the IFTA agreement (here is Ontario: International Fuel Tax Agreement)

Not sure how your trucks are registered, but at first glance the fact that three axles REGARDLESS of weight make a vehicle an "eligible vehicle" would mean that we, too, would need a fuel tax sticker...

Opinions, anyone?

The fuel end I am not sure,but for the licence,in Ontario,you need a safety every
year to get your plate sticker due to the weight of the vehicle.Also,you MAY
need a clean air test as well? From what I was told,if you score excellent on
the clean air,you can get a two year sticker instead of the one year.

This is all based on my Freightliner and my friends pickup and stock trailer.

WPNS421

I run a Volvo 640 tractor to haul my 30 ft trailer and because I drive in Ont,NY, PA I have a IFTA sticker. If you only drive in your home province i.e. Ontario you do not need an IFTA, In the US it is a different ball of wax. If the 3 axle truck is used for recreational purpose you do not require an IFTA sticker, it is clearly stated in the IFTA rules. If you are using the vehicle as a commercial vehicle and you stay in your province you do not need an IFTA.
What an IFTA does is, it take a portion of the money you pay for you plates and sends it to the province or state you will be driving in. Exemple if you drive 20,000km per year, 15,000 in Ontario and 5,000 in NY state NY will get a portion of the plate fees and this is according to the mileage you do. If you stay in your province you don't require an IFTA because all your fees go to Ontario. My IFTA includes Otario, NY and PA it cost me $35 more. Ity is worth it because the fines start at $400. You can get a one trip IFTA but it is more expensive then getting a ticket. Go to the IFTA site and read up on this.
I will soon be moving to Ontario and none of my big trucks will have an IFTA sticker.

ColdWarCanada

Radio installation manuals for Iltis

This pic is from an Ontario Iltis. Pic from MLU. This shows the std configuration, which should be common with the M151
The picture in the post is from my 1985 Bombardier Iltis. I have both RT-524 and PRC-25 in that unit with dual whips. If you are interested, I have all the Iltis manuals and the modification manuals with radio installation instruction for the various configurations. This includes VHF and HF radio installations. Send me a PM for the CD-ROM.

The floor of the Iltis has rails for mounting various gear. The typical installation has the a metal plate that mounts to the rails, using four bolts and diamond nuts that go into the rails. Then, the plate is bolted to the Canadian radio "dog house". These can be used with various radio kit. The MT-1029 mount bolts into the dog house. The MT-1029 mount can hold an RT-524, AM-2060 power supply/audio amplifier for the PRC-25/PRC-77. There are also some mounting directions for HF gear. I often use either MIL HF manpack radios or amateur radio HF gear and use a Shakespeare 16 foot whip on the front of the Iltis. With this configuration I have spoken with stations in Canada/USA and into Europe on HF from the Iltis.

In Afghanistan, the Iltis was sometimes configured with one of the rear seats removed (usually behind the driver), and the radio doghouse boxes pulled forward. The rear seat was mounted on top of the dog house facing backwards, and used as a rear facing position.

When the new digital radios came into use, they were often mounted on the side rear fender areas, and you will see some iltis with the mounting holes on the passenger rear fender inside. There also was a hole on the driver side rear fender for a radio remote control connector. The digital radios also used a mount on the front inside passenger area bewteen the glove box and air vent. This just held a control head.

The other mounts you will see on the Iltis are some holes on the floor by the shifter, that were for the older GPS systems.

Have fun...

Cheers!
ColdWarCanada
Photos Section

ChubbsMcGee

Well When I first started this thread I was trying to buy a M152 radio truck but have since bought a M43 Ambulance and have been restoring it. So far the frame is all done and most of the old paint removed from the body, next to start the sheet metal and remake the wiring harness. updates to come!:grd:

Rusty Loads

Hey there---started this necropost with a question about crossing border from Canada into US and back again. I did search on this here but answer is a few years old. Do I have to make any special arrangements to cross borders with a soft shell MV? (going to shows etc.) Thanks for any info on this.

soldier819

Was in numerous explosions in Afghanistan, so have head and spine injuries, but I'm good to go.

Vehicle is in rough shape, engine, trans, transfer case are not there, needs some body work.

Another Ahab

Was in numerous explosions in Afghanistan, so have head and spine injuries, but I'm good to go.

Vehicle is in rough shape, engine, trans, transfer case are not there, needs some body work.
Glad that you're here among us, and out of the field of fire.

You sound like your outlook is strong, so I know you'll heal up good and soon.

I'll let the Chaplain know you're here so we can include you in our prayer list for that healing to beef up.

And about that ambulance: there's a thread active now of an ambulance restoration/modification. I'll get back and let you know the thread (and even post the link IF I can figure that out...don't hold your breath though because IT isn't my strong suit).

Another Ahab

Fredericton, NB here. Medically releasing probably in May 2016.

Haven't bought yet, but looking at a M43 ambulance. Also have some military communications systems.
And about that ambulance: there's a thread active now of an ambulance restoration/modification. I'll get back and let you know the thread (and even post the link IF I can figure that out...don't hold your breath though because IT isn't my strong suit).
OK, hoping I'm doing this right (don't place any bets); here's the link

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=135493&goto=newpost

It might give you some ideas. Have you been following this thread at all?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fredericton, NB here. Medically releasing probably in May 2016.

Haven't bought yet, but looking at a M43 ambulance. Also have some military communications systems.
Welcome aboard!
Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway!

Offering our prayers over your medical needs, prayers for all who are rendering your care, and for your family and support "team". May God bless y'all in all ways, always.

An M43 would be a cool ride. I too joined SS before getting an MV - a Deuce. (the story of THE ARK can be found in my signature block.)
Hope you snag it for an agreeable price. Then we'll look forward to photos and a good thread on her.

Holler if you need anything. All of my contact info can be readily found in the Sunday Sermons Threads.

John
San Angelo, TX, USA, EARTH

oboyjohn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi fellas, Southern Quebec checking in here, Ste-Madeleine to be more precise. I had a M101 trailer 1954 for years. At one point, it was the oldest insured trailer in Quebec. I had modded it by adding a cut down deuce trailer tailgate and that made it a lot more user friendly. I am currently looking around for an Iltis, just have to raise the required funds. I was in the Reserves for 27 years as a mechanic at 51 Bns du C out of St. Hubert. Cheers!

Another Ahab

Hi fellas, Southern Quebec checking in here, Ste-Madeleine to be more precise. I had a M101 trailer 1954 for years. At one point, it was the oldest insured trailer in Quebec. I had modded it by adding a cut down deuce trailer tailgate and that made it a lot more user friendly. I am currently looking around for an Iltis, just have to raise the required funds. I was in the Reserves for 27 years as a mechanic at 51 Bns du C out of St. Hubert. Cheers!
Cheers back at you. :beer:

27 years is a long time to be "on call"; more power to you. I gave them 4, and then I was out of there.

Now how in the name of Sam Hill did you know that yours was the oldest insured trailer in ALL of Quebec, s'il vous plait?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks