• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian specs for the 250 cummins what a difference

seano11

As alot of you know I lost my injector pump on my recovery in fargo. Cummins N power rebuilt the pump completely to I guess it would be amercian specs ? anyways I thought the truck ran awesome after that. Anyways 2 hours from edmonton the pump seperated and was leaking again So off to Cummins Western Canada to get it fixed. I Had a chat with the injection pump tech after he had finished with the pump which he had informed me that the pump was way below there spec and wasn't making good pressure and that he had fixed it all up and told me to let him know what I thought of it now. Well after We got the pump installed and had it running I was freaking out because I thought something major was now wrong with the truck it was idiling so low and so smoothly that it just didn't sound right. So I fig I'd better take it for a test drive and wow going up hills with the 1400s on I can hold 60mph the truck is amazing now. anyways I just thought I'd let everyone know that it was 2 button sizes to big for the truck and it wasn't making enough pressure. But he also said it was the stock one in the truck ? weird EH! I'll try and find out what size he put in so I can pass the info onto you guys

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Setting up a pump is an art. What one person does can vary to the next. You can do it and get close, without a pump stand, if you use all the correct springs, shims, throttle shaft for the pump, etc. The stand drives the pump, not the other way around when it's on the truck. There is easily 10 different ways to get the correct readings at the given RPM set points depending on how a person uses the parts. I know for a fact that most Cummins approved shops set the pumps to the high side of the specs if not higher. It's possible that Cummins NW did the right thing, by EPA law, and set it to correct high spec. Cummins WC might have set it up a bit higher...or, if it's like the norm here, the PT pump business has gone the way of the DoDo and they sent it to an outside vendor that sets things higher than they should be.

seano11

What he told me was that the button was to large for the pump and not making enough pressure to meet the minimum specs I guess the smaller the button the more power it will make he also said the idle was set to high so he brought that down all this was done on a stand at the cummins dealer I'll try and find out Monday what specs he set it to

seano11

Ok just got woken up at 7:30 by a phone call from cummins was this nice old fella who is a load of info. He said they had put a extra 20 horse to my truck by turn up the pump or it should have given me 20 if it had a turbo. So then he offers to find me a smoke free kit for my truck which he said should bring it up to 260 since the truck stock is 240. Will keep everyone informed of what is happening.

kurtkds

What I was told by a local Expert (Brad) was that I needed to take my pump in and have it set up for 350psi and 2300 rpm.

If i did this then it would drive like a pickup truck. LOL

Haven't gotten around to doing that though, but after hauling my M447 to a couple shows, I need to do something.

But then again, I don't need to be in a hurry.

seano11

I rarely go above 45-50mph on the highway with it was just looking for a little bit more power on the hill's I don't expect it to make crazy numbers or anything