• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't Find Info On My M998

The Wazu

Here are some pics. Sorry for the delay guys. Hard at work. Also updating my kitchen so a lot going on at home. You can see the mileage for the truck is low. The one black box on the passenger side I’m assuming when to the microwave sensor box I explained earlier. You can also see they cut just about every wire leading to any type of sensor though. I’m going to post some more in a few minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wazu

If you can get a shot of the Data plate, NSN and model, I can ask someone in TACOM.
I would very much like to find out more, let me know if your friend can dig anything up. I posted a pic with all the numbers I believe you need!

The Wazu

Alright, so you can see it’s a little work in progress but it’s all there! Power steering pump is on but the high pressure line being professionally made. And yes that massive plate in the last picture is that skid plate. **** thing weighs 100 pounds. Need a jack to install it. As for everything under the hood is basically a standard VT275 stock set up. It does have an open connection on the ecu to tune it if I ever want to get frosty! The turbo is super cool in my opinion. I can up the boost on it like crazy if I wanted to. Obviously wanting the truck to be more reliable first before I get into all that. So perhaps next year. But let me know if y’all have any questions or want to see more!

Wire Fox

Now I just want to see you ask a would-be simple, frequently asked question so that we can see Action (et al, really...) tell you to read the TM. You know, the TM that covers GM powertrains in a HMMWV.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

The Wazu

Now I just want to see you ask a would-be simple, frequently asked question so that we can see Action (et al, really...) tell you to read the TM. You know, the TM that covers GM powertrains in a HMMWV.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
Haha I’m hoping this thing will be done in the next week or two. Tm would only work on the chassis other than that I’m looking at a international engine diagram and wiring with a gm drive terrain that is only a little helpful but surprisingly enough the only manual that has helped me the most is s ford 6.0 engine book and a Porsche vacuum/oil line placement schematics. Talk about easy...

The Wazu

Also failed to mention, the scavenger pump for the turbo sits right behind the down pipe but bolted to the frame rail. I was loosing a bunch of oil because it wasn’t working properly so come to find out, opening the pump up to see if it’s a simple fix, about a gallon of water ended up on my lap. All electronics were shot! Not a great feeling. So hopefully my contact can pull through and get me a quiet one for a decent price. Really don’t want to dish out another 300 bones on a pump.

The Wazu

Howdy all!

Update on the never ending project.

Scavenge pump has been installed. I actually purchased one from a marina store on a trip. Seems like it’s a pretty good quality pump. Very quiet and it was a fraction of the cost of a quiet eBay one or name brand. Power steering has also been resolved. Pump was a ford power stroke pump and mounted just fine. Had to order about 10 different drive belts to figure out which size I needed. Hardest part about the power steering was running the lines. I bought some Earls fittings and ran high pressure oil lines to the pump to the hydro booster. I had to get one of my fittings custom made because the earl fitting was not a inverted pipe thread but the hydro booster was. So that was fun to figure out. Regardless it works fine.

With the major issues resolved I found out I don’t have any lights. So I don’t know what’s going on there. Didn’t have time to look into that issue due to another issue.....

So if you look back in the previous post you’ll notice how I was describing the alternator mounted below the truck. There is a pulley that is mount on the inside of the bellhousing and linked to the input shaft of the transmission. It also looks like it may be welded to the “flywheel”. Anyways, I drove my rig for about a week and I was happier than a puppy in biscuit world. One evening I was pulling out of work and when I came to a stop the truck lunges forward pretty hard. It wasn’t a brake lung, it was more than that. I thought to myself, weird. But didn’t think much of it so I go to pull out of the parking lot and I made it about 10 yards before my rig started making the worst metal on metal noise I’ve ever heard. I immediately turned the engine off thinking I threw a rod or something. So here I am in the middle of an intersection with a vehicle that is not so easy to push. I thought to myself, F it I’m going to start it and move it to the side. Upon cranking it over, no noise. Engine started, no noise. Give it gas, noise. But no movement. I put the shifter in high, low, 1, 2 etc etc. nothing but noise. Truck wouldn’t move. I look underneath and see the belts came off the pulley of the alternator. I look further into it and I notice the pulley on the inside of the bell housing has completely snapped off. So basically the custom flywheel or Input shaft is done. So now I’m back to square one.

From what I can tell, looks like this pulley was welded on and maybe it wasn’t balanced correctly. Either way I’m going to take the transmission out and check the issue out first hand. Has anyone removed one of these transmissions? If so, how hard? Any special tools? Tips?

I’ll get some pictures for you guys.

Truck drives awesomely though, very peppy. Very strong and actually fuel efficient. Starts strong, idles quiet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks