• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't find stamped VIN

Working on a 1953 Studebaker built M35 with a gas REO engine. Based on info from several threads here I looked on the left front frame rail behind the front tire. Scraped then paint stripped it down to bare metal, no numbers visible, even faint ones.

This area has been mentioned several times, but no on has mentioned the exact area, so I can concentrate my efforts. I've seen pictures of the stamped VIN, but always close ups so the exact location isn't visible. I'm not looking for a perfect description within fractions of an inch, but if someone would be kind enough to post a picture of the area of the frame I could best expect to find it.

I've got pretty much the entire frame visible within the wheelwell down to bare metal, but obviously I need to concentrate my efforts in one particular area. Any help with that specific spot would be greatly appreciated.

I've cleaned large test sections of the passenger side frame in case I could spot a portion of a stamped number, no success so far.

Thanks,
John

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about slightly forward of the front spring perch? Number should begin with M if I remember correctly.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found mine on my 1972 AM General M35A2 almost directly above the axle, on the left side just like you mentioned.

Maybe the older gassers are different?

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 1973 Kaiser Jeep Corporation M51A3 did NOT have a VIN number on the frame, only on the ID shield on the dashboard. Several people including experts from the Dutch DoT looked on a cleaned frame, both sides, from bumper to cabin, NO VIN. Seems to happen more often.

Whatever, the DoT imprinted the VIN number from the dashboard on the frame in a clearly recognizable place, problem solved.

Kaiser67M715

on my '52 Studebaker, it is directly above the front, forward drivers spring hanger, I don't think I have a pic, but if you really need the visual I can probably go snap one.

on my '52 Studebaker, it is directly above the front, forward drivers spring hanger, I don't think I have a pic, but if you really need the visual I can probably go snap one.
Thanks, I think the info everyone has sent, including this, has really helped me pin down the area. I'll spend my time in that area and post here what I find.

Found it! Thanks everyone (NDT, Valence, Robo McDuff and Kaiser67M715!) It was above the front spring perch as mentioned and once cleaned it was easily visible. Thankfully, it also matched the serial number on the data plate.

Once again, a profound Thank You to everyone who helped!

rustystud

Just for grins and giggles and for anyone who comes to this post later. The VIN number has also been stamped on the "right" side by the spring hanger on these older Studebaker REO's . Guess it just depended on which side of the assembly line the stamper was sitting on that day !

Just for grins and giggles and for anyone who comes to this post later. The VIN number has also been stamped on the "right" side by the spring hanger on these older Studebaker REO's . Guess it just depended on which side of the assembly line the stamper was sitting on that day !
Great info, thanks!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Actually it depended on if the left handed or right handed guy was there and if he had the left handed stamping machine or the right handed one. If he was a lefty with the left machine, it would be on the left side. if he is a righty with the right machine then right side. If he was a lefty with the right machine it would be on the left. If he was a righty with the left machine it would be on the left. If he was a righty with the wrong machine, it wouldn't imprint. A wong machine used by a guy named wong that is a lefty would be the same as a righty since two wongs do make a right. Now if super dud was working the line that day, then he would just use his laser vision to burn in the serial numbers.

....... A wong machine used by a guy named wong that is a lefty would be the same as a righty since two wongs do make a right. Now if super dud was working the line that day, then he would just use his laser vision to burn in the serial numbers.
You sure you're not just being VINdictive? :whistle: