• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't get hood or tail gate to open help

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi the hood is very hard to unlatch. After pulling the lever it doesn't release. I have to slam the door for the hood to open. Don't see any way to adjust it? Thoughts?

2nd the rear tail gate used to open a little hard but it would open. Now no matter what I try I can't get it to release. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Jeepadict

There's a tale as old as time. If it doesn't move and it should: WD-40...if it moves and it shouldn't: Duct Tape.

You need some lubricant in your life. The purists will tell you to use what's in the TM, the rest of us play with whatever is handy till ya find your favorite. Next time ya have the hood open, spray the bagezus out of the latch mechanism...the open and close it and spray some more...repeat until sufficient. Same thing with the tailgate...pull handle, shake back and forth, pull handle some more...maybe ya have to take the acces panel to get in there...spray the snot out of everything that moves. Welcome to owning a 40-something Squarebody.

While you're at it, go spray the door latches and hinge assys too!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a tale as old as time. If it doesn't move and it should: WD-40...if it moves and it shouldn't: Duct Tape.

You need some lubricant in your life. The purists will tell you to use what's in the TM, the rest of us play with whatever is handy till ya find your favorite. Next time ya have the hood open, spray the bagezus out of the latch mechanism...the open and close it and spray some more...repeat until sufficient. Same thing with the tailgate...pull handle, shake back and forth, pull handle some more...maybe ya have to take the acces panel to get in there...spray the snot out of everything that moves. Welcome to owning a 40-something Squarebody.

While you're at it, go spray the door latches and hinge assys too!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Sorry I forgot to mention yep I've already WD40 them a bunch

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the release inside the cab for the hood, then go up front and hit it with the side of your hand making a fist right in front of latch. It should release and then you can open it. Now clean all dirt and rust everywhere in this latch and oil it good. Do the same thing to the hood hinges. it should work a lot better. Keep these clean and oiled for best results!

cucvrus

Push in on the rear gate when opening it. It was designed to be pushed in on it. Imagine a child sitting in the back putting the handle and the gate falling open. Safety design. And using WD 40 is like peeing on it. Wet and slippery for a few minutes and gone. Good old squirt can with oil or grease and you will be good for years. Watch which way the hood moves when you do release and close and adjust the latch slightly into that direction. Could be the entire hood needs adjusting to release better. Good Luck.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Push in on the rear gate when opening it. It was designed to be pushed in on it. Imagine a child sitting in the back putting the handle and the gate falling open. Safety design. And using WD 40 is like peeing on it. Wet and slippery for a few minutes and gone. Good old squirt can with oil or grease and you will be good for years. Watch which way the hood moves when you do release and close and adjust the latch slightly into that direction. Could be the entire hood needs adjusting to release better. Good Luck.
Thanks, I'll try that. Any suggestions on how to make the doors themselves close better?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Back in the day, our Motor Pool always had two new tail gates on hand. At some point, nothing helped. Just put a new one on. Not an option for you.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any suggestions on how to make the doors themselves close better?
Another common problem with these old trucks.
It could be that your hinges have sagged over time and need to be adjusted (loosen bolts, adjust, tighten).

Or one of the most likely culprits is the bushing on the striker on the door frame. Easiest fix is to take a section of PEX about 3/4" long, slice it lengthwise and slip it over the striker. The door should click closed easily.

Cheers

ehuppert

Way back when I used pex on the strike latches which helped. When I rebuilt/restored my truck I picked up some bronze bushings from the hardware store and installed on the posts....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks