• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't get the engine to idle

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@davidm2232 I think you nailed it with "gotten used to it". It is all in what you are used to. There are people that daily drive the M35A2 and they (and their body) know what experience to expect and drive/plan accordingly. Is it do-able? As you demonstrated, sure it is! There also are 1001 vehicles that can get the "Point A to Point B" on-the-road trip done more quickly and more comfortably. On a logging trail with a full bed of cargo? The Deuce is your truck!

I find that the radial 11.00R20 add a better ride and I also fitted an air ride driver's seat entirely for my benefit. In the end, it is still a 1950' rough road vehicle without any design regards for driver comfort.

On a side note regarding "loop past the bar" : Here (in Ontario) the alcohol limit when operating a commercial vehicle is 0.0. Although my Deuce is personally owned and not for hire, it is classed commercial due to weight. If I got stopped and had a breathalyzer result other than 0.0, I would lose my commercial license for a period of time, get fined and get CVOR points on top of that. Not so when driving a non-commercial vehicle, such as a car; "normal" rules apply.

The Deuce is therefore not a vehicle to take when even one beer factors into the equation.

Last edited:

davidm2232

On a side note regarding "loop to the bar": Here (in Ontario) the alcohol limit for driving a commercial vehicle is 0.0. That extends to a personally owned Deuce, because it is commercial by its weight. If I got stopped and blew any reading at all while driving my "personal truck", I could kiss my commercial license goodbye for the mandatory period of time. Not so if they stop you in a car (not a commercial vehicle).
As far as I am aware, in USA-NYS having a CDL is zero tolerance for all vehicles, even personal. Big reason why I didn't bother getting a CDL. But also I live in the middle of nowhere and there is zero chance of getting stopped. But in any case, I pretty much never stop for a drink there. I just use the parking lot as a turnaround. Only lot within a few miles of my house that loops around and is big enough to turn the truck around. I could barely manage to drive the truck sober. After a few beers it is pretty much impossible. Mostly because it didn't idle and you need 3 feet to keep it running at a stop sign.

ToddJK

Like others have said, it's not for everybody and that's okay. You had a bad experience, completely understandable. That why I tell those who are new to MV's to buy one that runs well. This way they can drive it for a while and enjoy it before repairing or maintenance because everyone has to remember, the military had a logistics team to keep these trucks moving, we are by ourselves, and this definitely intimidates some.

rustystud

As far as I am aware, in USA-NYS having a CDL is zero tolerance for all vehicles, even personal. Big reason why I didn't bother getting a CDL. But also I live in the middle of nowhere and there is zero chance of getting stopped. But in any case, I pretty much never stop for a drink there. I just use the parking lot as a turnaround. Only lot within a few miles of my house that loops around and is big enough to turn the truck around. I could barely manage to drive the truck sober. After a few beers it is pretty much impossible. Mostly because it didn't idle and you need 3 feet to keep it running at a stop sign.
Your correct about the "Zero" tolerance for alcohol (or any awareness inhibiting drug) and driving with a CDL . I still have my class "A" for a few more years. I will not be able to renew it next time (too old) . Plus the cost of the license and the yearly physicals are a pain. Normally you only have to have a physical every two years, but with advanced age comes other restrictions. Can't have you dropping dead while driving an 18 wheeler.

rustystud

Like others have said, it's not for everybody and that's okay. You had a bad experience, completely understandable. That why I tell those who are new to MV's to buy one that runs well. This way they can drive it for a while and enjoy it before repairing or maintenance because everyone has to remember, the military had a logistics team to keep these trucks moving, we are by ourselves, and this definitely intimidates some.
Being a Sergeant in the Motor Pool I can testify to what maintenance the Deuce received on a "Weekly" basis. There was always at least three in the shop getting brakes, wheel seals, or tires worked on. Then there was the one getting major work done on it, like getting the engine, transmission, or differential replaced. Then of course there was the daily ones like the clutch slipping, lights out, coolant leaks etc.
We had over 20 mechanics in our shop and they all were busy everyday.

Last edited:

davidm2232

It's not even so much the maintenance. Though I did get a message from the guy that bought it less than 24 hrs after he picked it up that the transmission was stuck in reverse. The issue I have is that it would never be a nice truck to drive. It would always be loud, slow, bouncy, wander all over the road, and just generally not be enjoyable. They suck on-road and they suck off road. I was getting stuck and hung up with the Deuce in places my stock suspension 4Runner was going with ease. The lack of maneuverability and huge size does not work for any of the local trails we have or even the off road parks. If you wanted one of these things to bring to occasional car shows or parades, sure, I bet it is great for that. But I drive all of my vehicles regularly. None are show pieces that sit the the driveway. If I can't get in whatever I have and enjoy a 100 mile trip, it is not something I want to own.

DaneGer21

If I can't get in whatever I have and enjoy a 100 mile trip, it is not something I want to own.
I actually just took mine on a 75mile trip after work yesterday. Blast to drive, and surely a head turner. Not sure I can count how many thumbs up I got.

We get it though, you don’t like them, you don’t want another, you don’t wanna work on them, you didn’t enjoy driving one. And that’s ok, not all big boy toys are for everyone. I wouldn’t trade mine for a 4Runner if I had to…again; to each their own…

ToddJK

It's not even so much the maintenance. Though I did get a message from the guy that bought it less than 24 hrs after he picked it up that the transmission was stuck in reverse. The issue I have is that it would never be a nice truck to drive. It would always be loud, slow, bouncy, wander all over the road, and just generally not be enjoyable. They suck on-road and they suck off road. I was getting stuck and hung up with the Deuce in places my stock suspension 4Runner was going with ease. The lack of maneuverability and huge size does not work for any of the local trails we have or even the off road parks. If you wanted one of these things to bring to occasional car shows or parades, sure, I bet it is great for that. But I drive all of my vehicles regularly. None are show pieces that sit the the driveway. If I can't get in whatever I have and enjoy a 100 mile trip, it is not something I want to own.

The deuce isn't so much unable or incapable, it's just a different kind of animal. I've taken mine off on trails all the time, mud bogs, and to Haspin Acres once so far. It's definitely not a side by side or tuned up Wrangler, and yes, lots of trails are too tight or narrow for a deuce. However, I like the loud noise. No worry of a radio or fighting with my kids on which station to listen too, the smells, vibrations, getting wet in the rain, hot in the summer, cold in the winter, it's just a part of the experience for me and I love every second of it, but my old lady hates it. Some of us like that kinda stuff and it's okay if others don't.
At least you gave it a shot and crossed it off your bucket list, which is more than what many can say.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Deuce is also not a forgiving off road beast. It weighs 12,000 lbs so it needs every bit of traction the 6 wheels can provide. As soon as the ground gets soft or sandy, the operator is called upon to work on tire pressure to get optimal traction. The open diffs mean that, as soon as one wheel spins you effectively lose the whole axle for traction.

I find that I get hung up on sandy soil very, very quickly, especially when there is any grade involved. On hard or at least solid ground it is ok. I actually feel it does better with weight in the bed. On sand, that weight simply sinks it.

Mind you, I go off road mostly just to get from here to there, not to "go wheeling". As such, getting stuck and having to winch myself out is not "part of the great experience" for me, but a chore (mostly).

I do enjoy winching out others, though, especially when their rigs cost more than 10 Deuces' worth!

rustystud

The Deuce is also not a forgiving off road beast. It weighs 12,000 lbs so it needs every bit of traction the 6 wheels can provide. As soon as the ground gets soft or sandy, the operator is called upon to work on tire pressure to get optimal traction. The open diffs mean that, as soon as one wheel spins you effectively lose the whole axle for traction.

I find that I get hung up on sandy soil very, very quickly, especially when there is any grade involved. On hard or at least solid ground it is ok. I actually feel it does better with weight in the bed. On sand, that weight simply sinks it.

Mind you, I go off road mostly just to get from here to there, not to "go wheeling". As such, getting stuck and having to winch myself out is not "part of the great experience" for me, but a chore (mostly).

I do enjoy winching out others, though, especially when their rigs cost more than 10 Deuces' worth!
Your mentioning of driving in sand reminds me of the time our "Top" sergeant got a little drunk and decided to take the unit out on a midnight ride. We had four Deuces and three platoons of Grunts. We ended up at the beach and three of the deuces went out into the surf. I was driving the last deuce and would not go out on the sand. I was a Sergeant by then and told the Gunney who was with me that I would not endanger my vehicle in that manner. Well the lead deuce got stuck ten feet from the water. The whole unit got out there and tried to get the deuce unstuck. The tide was coming in and it was looking bad. I told the Top we could get it out, just let me and my men work on it. I had one of my mechanics crawl under the deuce, dig out the sand and manually move the transfer-case levers into low. The truck had sunk so low you could not move the levers from the cab. Then I put my best driver in it and had twenty men get into the bed and the other twenty or so push the truck. We rocked it out just as the tide was hitting the running boards.
I got a "commendation" for my actions that night, though it read for some other action. No one wanted to take responsibility for that little "midnight ride" .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks