• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't Jump My M1009

cam7002

Kendelrio, I am a little slow on the uptake. I finally got what you said about the ramp, the 1009 and the carnage.

Here's what I did. I tested the batteries and they are both fine. I left the vehicle overnight in Durham and came home to Raleigh to keep the home fires lit. First thing Thursday morning, I went out to my other CUCV (#2) and I pulled the starter. Jumped in the work truck, took my partner to her job, headed to Durham with the "spare" starter to work on the failed CUCV (#1). I figured I would bring the starter in case I needed it.

I got under #1 and, in dropping the starter, I found that the connection had, in fact, been compromised. The ring connector had been blown into a very open and loose U connector. I pulled the cable up through the retainers into the engine compartment area, removed the old connector and replaced it with a new 2 gauge ring connector. I cleaned and tightened all the connectors, terminals, posts, etc., and then I put the starter from #2 in #1. It started right up. I dropped the truck at the worksite, drove #1 back to Raleigh, put starter from #1 in #2, and it also started right up with no issues.

So it appears that, fortunately, the only issue was the ring connector. Both are starting fine now. Everytime I take those hogs out, though, I invariably attract 2 or 3 tire kickers who enquire about buying them. I typically offer to sell one for $2 1/2 - $3 k, and then they fade away.

cam7002

Next task is to put in that relay switch that had been mentioned in other posts. Also, if anyone should have a moment, can I get the TM #s for the CUCV and M1009 so I can pull them up on this site?

motormayhem

I don't mean to hijack this post, but I have been wondering and it seems like a good time to ask. Is it possible to jump start a m1009 with a 12V vehicle and if so how? Also if I leave my headlights on you said it will drain the front battery will it still start? I didn't think it would but the way it was phrased made it sound like it would start.

Oh and here:
LO 9-2320-289-12 is the Lubrication Order
TM 9-2320-289-10 is the Operator's Manual
TM 9-2320-289-20 is the Unit Maintenance Manual
TM 9-2320-289-20P is the Unit Parts Manual
TM 9-2320-289-34 is the Intermediate Maintenance Manual
TM 9-2320-289-34P is the Intermediate Parts Manual

Thanks,
Miles

mangus580

I don't mean to hijack this post, but I have been wondering and it seems like a good time to ask. Is it possible to jump start a m1009 with a 12V vehicle and if so how? Also if I leave my headlights on you said it will drain the front battery will it still start? I didn't think it would but the way it was phrased made it sound like it would start.

Oh and here:
LO 9-2320-289-12 is the Lubrication Order
TM 9-2320-289-10 is the Operator's Manual
TM 9-2320-289-20 is the Unit Maintenance Manual
TM 9-2320-289-20P is the Unit Parts Manual
TM 9-2320-289-34 is the Intermediate Maintenance Manual
TM 9-2320-289-34P is the Intermediate Parts Manual

Thanks,
Miles
Miles... Most times a CUCV needs a jump its because the front battery is weak (since 99% of the electrical system runs off of it). You can jump just this battery with a 12v vehicle. Hook the jumper cables up so that battery is a direct match for your 12v vehicle battery. Basically pretend the rear battery isnt there, and jump it as you would any 12v vehicle.

As always be careful, take your time, double/triple check what you are doing as you do it.

LanceRobson

Miles... Most times a CUCV needs a jump its because the front battery is weak (since 99% of the electrical system runs off of it). You can jump just this battery with a 12v vehicle. Hook the jumper cables up so that battery is a direct match for your 12v vehicle battery. Basically pretend the rear battery isnt there, and jump it as you would any 12v vehicle.

As always be careful, take your time, double/triple check what you are doing as you do it.

If both batteries are low, you can disconnect the battery cables on the "dead" truck, charge each battery for several minutes with the 12v jumpers and then start it.