• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can't remember

68impalass

I for the life of me cannot remember if the voltage gauge always reads even with the key off. If it's supposed to stop reading does anyone know where to start looking? I appreciate the help very much.

dependable

It should only read when key is on. You could start by checking that ignition switch actually goes to off position. The switch itself is down on the steering column. It is actuated by a metal rod that is pushed by the ignition key. Check for jammed rod or out of adjustment switch.

Last edited:

Barrman

As posted above, it comes off and on with the key. However, you should be aware that 24 volts is present at the back of the gauge at all times. Such as when you pull the gauge cover and one of the gauge post hits metal. That is when you hope the very bottom fuse in the panel blows before any wires let the magic smoke out.

cpf240

As I recall it, that gauge is switched on and off by a relay mounted next to the starter and GEN 2 relays under the dash. This relay should activate when the key is on.

Now, I don't understand why it was done this way, but that relay switches the *ground* connection to that gauge. So, as others have noted, there is *always* 24v hot on the back of the gauge.

If that gauge finds another path to a ground, such as if another gauge was installed next to it, it will be "on" all the time.

Of course, the needle could also just be stuck.

sierrajcharlie

As posted above, it comes off and on with the key. However, you should be aware that 24 volts is present at the back of the gauge at all times. Such as when you pull the gauge cover and one of the gauge post hits metal. That is when you hope the very bottom fuse in the panel blows before any wires let the magic smoke out.

I thought I was the only one who knew about that! Now I wonder if anyone else knows about the other secret magic smokes I've let escape!:whistle:

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be of benefit for those willing to search to have the topic of the thread in the title.

Barrman

Magic smoke release has been part of my life since before I could drive. Starting with British cars. The CUCV's are simple and easy in comparison. At least normally, a CUCV wire will actually go from point A to point B without 5 or 6 non insulated metal connections, the wires are covered in something besides rotted cloth and the wiring diagram actually applies to the vehicle you are working on 90% of the time or more.