• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas and paint

redbeard1

Hello,

i have a 1953 M37 and 1954 M37 I am looking for the canvas for the back of the trucks and also the troop seats and canvas supports. Does anyone know where to buy these parts? Also I am looking for the right paint color and where to buy, any help would be much appreciated.

Marc

SteveKuhn

I doubt if any NOS canvas has survived in good shape. I'd google Wee Bee Webbing, New Life Canvas, and Beechwood in that order of my taste for reproductions. I've seen an M37 restored to the 9s with Wee Bee on it and it is absolutely great

WarrenD's Boonie Rat looks wonderful in the Randolph 24087 paint. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?85669-Introducing-Boonierat

My friend Jack bought a case of it at Gilbert for touchup of his M37 which is original paint and it's a very close match allowing for aging, etc. - better than either Gillespie or Aervoe. Only source I know is Peter at www.debellajeepparts.com

I'll qualify that a bit and say that the Gillespie 24087 is a dead match for myM37, so it really depends on when the truck was painted as far as which shade is 'right'.

It also depends on whether you're doing touchup of original or a complete repaint. In the latter case, it's what you like.

Midwest Military and Vintage Power Wagon for rack and seat hardware, as well as hanging out on the unmentionable auction site searching for M37 parts. They pop up. I'm guessing wood needs to be sourced locally. That's what I have to do.

Steve

Last edited:

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used TM 9 paint on my restoration. It is a catalyzed urethane paint and is as tough as nails. I also used 24087 for color which I am very happy with.

I agree with Steve Kuhn on the canvas, with a couple of exceptions; Midwest Military has new canvas from the original manufacturer (J.J. Johnson) and I like New Life Canvas best (Mona, the owner, is great, if a little slow).

BTW, I live just a little south of you in Kenmore. If you want to see a freshly restored truck, PM me and we can set up a time and I'll give you an address.

Storm 51

SteveKuhn

There's no better advice than to go see one that's been done, and esp. one as nice as Storm's. You have a variety of choices for canvas and paint. Look, learn and shop.

Steve

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Thanks for the compliment on the truck, Steve!

I haven't won any trophies or anything, but I like the way it looks.

Just wish my garage was big enough to get the canvas on the bed.

Thanks again,

Storm 51

Roller

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! Thanks for the compliment on the truck, Steve!

I haven't won any trophies or anything, but I like the way it looks.

Just wish my garage was big enough to get the canvas on the bed.

Thanks again,

Storm 51
You could have New Life make you a custom cargo cover. Take 6" off the side stakes to lower the height of the cargo cover and make it the same height as the cab cover. I saw a truck in Nebraska that did this and it looked good, instead of the raised step up for the cargo cover the top was flush with the cab.

Frank

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the suggestion, Frank, but the truck is stock and the reason I want to put the canvas on is because I have the complete M-42 command truck kit and all the radios. If I lower the top, I won't be able to use that stuff.

Storm 51

nattieleather

When you set that M42 up please post pictures I'd like to see that! The other choice would be to raise the garage...might be a bit costly to do that, but hey aren't our beloved MVs worth it... :)

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I already raised the garage roof and made the garage door larger; and yes it was expensive - very expensive. I've raised it all I can. Now I just have to figure out a way to make it work.

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heat is in the floor (slab with water through the floor). Can't do that.

I'm going to try to drive into the garage instead of backing in and see if that gives me enough room.

Still have to build the 3 junction boxes and test & repair all the radios. That is this winter's project.

Storm

Hal O'Peridol

The heat is in the floor (slab with water through the floor). Can't do that.

I'm going to try to drive into the garage instead of backing in and see if that gives me enough room.

Still have to build the 3 junction boxes and test & repair all the radios. That is this winter's project.

Storm

Have you tried airing down your tires?

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is what I'll probably have to do. Of course I'll need to buy a compressor so that I can pump them up again when I move it out of the garage.

My son will be happy if I buy a compressor. My wife and daughter probably won't be however.

Storm 51

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after 9 1/2 months I'm resurrecting a long dead thread because it died with unfinished business.

Nattieleather asked to see my truck (I think that's backwards; the truck owns me - I'm the truck's grunt) with the all the M-42 canvas installed.

Well, the weekend before this one, I installed it all with help from my son (he was not happy about how long it took - I thought an hour or 2; it was closer to 6 to 8 hours).

I took the truck to a show this weekend and took a few pictures of the complete set up (at least as far as I have progressed so far).

So, attached below are the photos.

IMG_9397R.jpgIMG_9364R.jpgIMG_9371R.jpgIMG_9375R.jpgIMG_9378R.jpgIMG_9383R.jpgIMG_9386R.jpgIMG_9389R.jpgIMG_9395R.jpgIMG_9357R.jpg

GUNNY 155

Just wanted to say Hello Storm how you been. Red Beard 1, here is my 2 cents. On my frame off resto I used canvas from Beachwood Canvas and was very happy with their products and service. For paint I used Gillespie products from Rapco again very happy. For paint application I used a HVLP Devilbis gun and used Martin Seynour Medium fast enamel reducer. A lot of the painting I did with my shop doors open in nice weather. If you do any painting in the colder months like I did when I had to do my hood make sure you can get the heat in your garage up to at least 72 degrees and maintain it.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the compliments, nattie! I hadn't forgotten your request, but sometimes it does take me awhile to get things accomplished.

I'm glad you liked the photos.

Hello, Gunny! I'm fine but I've been busy. How are you doing? Have you gotten many opportunities to enjoy your truck?

Storm 51