• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas cargo cover weight

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking into having an existing canvas cover modified to fit like an oem cargo cover. I found a tent company that will do the work for a good price. Unfortunately I do not know what weight of canvas is needed. The heaviest I can find is 21oz after treated. The most common are 10oz and 18oz. I'm not looking to go through the forest and have trees scraping all over it. I will mostly use it for highway driving when hauling odds and ends to the local dump so probably 55 mph max. Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you trying to match a restoration grade fabric?

Here's a list of military textiles, you can go through it and maybe find the type that suits your needs.

Btw, here's a link to the part diagram showing part numbers.

USN_Green_Addict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I appreciate the link. I'm not really trying to match for a restoration I'm just try to get a semi good functional canvas tarp that looks okay.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with the tent company to see if they can work with treated material or not.
Try Chicago Canvas.

There is a company with billboard ads printed on heavy rubber canvas vinyl with pop up ads on the www for the used material in black or white. It's heavy duty, but no olive drab.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you live in TX, the sun’s UV is going to be a big consideration...get the 21-oz at a minimum, or else you’ll be replacing it every 2 years or so.

Be sure to treat it with protectant every spring; a 50-50 mixture of Boiled Linseed Oil & Mineral Spirits brushed on will not only waterproof it but help keep it protected from the elements.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also depends on whether you will keep the cover on all the time or not. If you only put it on when you need to have a cover on something that NEEDS a cover, then it will last a long time. If it is on 24 x 7 x 365 and exposed to the elements, you will get two to three years maximum. Parked out of the elements, at least five years. Your choice, your money and time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks