• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas Cover #8696020 assistance needed.

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to an estate sale that had advertised M37 Parts, I found 2 canvas cab covers in really good condition. They seem way too big to be for an M37 so I looked for any markings, they have a part number of 8696020 and also say 1962 on them. I have searched google and found NSN # 2540-00-804-1579 listed with that part number. I searched this site, online and went thru the deuce & 5 ton manuals trying to figure out what these belong too. Any ideas?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I went to an estate sale that had advertised M37 Parts, I found 2 canvas cab covers in really good condition. They seem way too big to be for an M37 so I looked for any markings, they have a part number of 8696020 and also say 1962 on them. I have searched google and found NSN # 2540-00-804-1579 listed with that part number. I searched this site, online and went thru the deuce & 5 ton manuals trying to figure out what these belong too. Any ideas?
The best I find is a "fitted cover" and The NSN lookup says nothing.
PartTarget and a bunch of others are all the same.

I would love for somebody to School Me in how it works.

It almost seems like Microsoft runs that operation. You know, where technically they give the answer - but that answer is pretty useless.

Radiogeek99

Just Another Guy
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are cab covers, when you stretch them out they have the 90 degree shape of a cab cover. They have a plastic back window and a zippered area around the window like you could unzip the window area and roll it up, but not a large opening like a cargo cover on the back of a truck or trailer. They also have a row of twist locking devices on each side above what would be the door area. They have rope along the lower end of the back side that looks like it would tie down to a cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds an awful lot like a Deuce cab cover. What aspect of it is too big for a M37? Obviously the M37 did not use the twist lock fasteners over the door. But the 2.5, 5 and 10 ton did.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wider where, in the back or front or both? The deuce and M37 have the same windshield width. So if the width is way more at the windshield, I have no idea. The 900 series 5 ton is wider, but it didn't exist in 1962. The window design could be different.

Jeepsinker

"I wanted to answer you on there seeing all those stupid answers"

548 has two fixed windows
Just a guess. Only thing I can think of with an open cab that was wider than a deuce cab at that time. I mean, maybe the Ford 8x8 trucks but I'm not sure they were a thing yet in 1962.

Jeepsinker

Does it have buckles or straps along the front edge? It would be easier to help if we had a picture of this thing laying out. Another wild guess would be a cab cover for an M16 Halftrack.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks