• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas on M35A1

willysmd

Hi Men
What is the best way to get the canvas on mine nice and tight, at the moment it tends to dip between the bows and baggy on the ends around the top, this just tends to collect water, which we have a lot of over here.
Is it best to work the canvas when its cold or warm, any suggestions on this knowledgeable site please.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mine does the same thing....I have considered trying to mount something in between the bows to support the canvas........ Haven't really decided what the best way to do that would be.

ida34

We put plywood across the bows so we could walk across them while putting up the camo net. It also keeped the canvas from sagging.

YoungBill

I have that same problem in PA. I use a ripstop tarp under the canvas for starters. I also take 1/2 inch rope and string it from the rear support to the front support and loop each support to help minimize the unsupported areas. I run one up the middle and then one side dividing the top into thirds. It works pretty well for snow. The ropes are run parallel to the length of the bed.

Bill in PA

MVPA 21439
66 M35A2 with singles and ready for the snow.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So do you guys think the 1" x 2" stringers would be preferable or a thin sheet of plywood?

And how would you attach whichever one to the bows? I would think exposed bolt heads would be a bad idea, as you could rip the canvas.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the stringers you could countersink the bolts or use panheads. I would do some liberal rounding on them or run a router over the corners to knock down the edge.Even if you can 6 of these and removed the top, it would still look pretty cool vs the sheet of plywood. Can you get plywood in a 12' piece. Luan (sp) would be a thought too.

Boatcarpenter

Whatever you do, I would think that the least amount of wood surface area on the inside(underside) of the canvas would be best. The canvas should be able to "breathe" as much as possible from both sides.

westfolk

One parts truck I have has the 1"x2" stringers. Three of them, one centered, then with the other two splitting the differenceon each side of center. The wood has its corners smoothed. They used carriage bolts so nothing but a little hump sticks above the wood.

willysmd

Has anyone got some pictures of this Bjorn maybe? he normally has pictures of everything jsut to give an idea of what it looks like :D

willysmd

Cheers Rizzo that makes it for me ans will do that as someone said earlier it will allow the canvas to breathe, BTW nice wheels and tyres what size are they it looks awesome, are they stock rims??