• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canvas winch cover,...?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a thread on this sometime back, I thought the consensus from those present was a cover might trap moisture? I use Tri-flow. Though, I think any water displacing oil would work?

HDN

Did the A3s get winch covers as well? I don't think I've seen modern trucks come with them.

The covers really complete the look of winches. My dad got a NOS one for his halftrack and it looks awesome!

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for info. Never used one or saw one in the service. Only once in the surplus world is when I saw these or even heard about them. In the 70s guys would greese rags and rap the winch with that. But an old expert mechanic told us to stop. So we did. Regular maintenance and we never had an issue.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never used one or saw one in the service. Only once in the surplus world is when I saw these or even heard about them. In the 70s guys would greese rags and wrap the winch with that. But an old expert mechanic told us to stop. So we did. Regular maintenance and we never had an issue.
Same here, 70's into the 90's.. On my own stuff I don't bother buying official winch covers. I'm not for show. Instead I use surplus GI canvas covers with straps that were under $10ea from armysurpluswarehouse. I think they were for kitchen field equip but are large enough to cover halfway down all 4 sides of 5T winches and look just fine on there. Enough of the straps fit so you can run the roads. They are just big enough to do a decent job covering the rear winch of wreckers

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you need down here?
Be happy to help.
Aussie.
I need a pair of these - don't think that they are still available new...
M816 Cab lamp.png
but one thing that seems to be hard to get is reproduction ADF rego plates - preferably the earlier white on black rather than the green on white. Even old civilian ones seem impossible - which could be used to copy graphics and sizing...

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,.....Can you take a closer more detail picture for me, your after the lens cover yes?
Aussie.
That is a photo I found. I need the whole lamp x 2. I'll try look through all my other pics to see if I have a close up. That lamp wasn't ever sold in the US as far as I know. Probably a Hella?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks