• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"car show winner"

Katch1

A buddy of mine has a 57 chev drag car that looks real good, and I challenged him to show up at a car show with it. He said I will if you will, so I showed up.
Backed into a spot between a 69 camaro and a 40 Ford buisness coupe, both owners couldn't stand to watch there really wasn't enough room, but it was the last spot.
Needless to say we had fun when my kid jumped out and asked the camaro guy if he had a chamois!
Most people were cool tho, answered a lot of questions, got a few weird looks, and had a pretty good time all in all
Got most unique entry, and the promoter thanked me for bringing the truck because they had never had one
One word of warning tho, bleed off the air, or disable the horn if you let people in your truck.We had a youngster blow the horn with an old boy looking at the engine, almost a bad scene!

BugEyeBear

I took my '52 GMC XM211 to a recent local classic car gathering (i.e. "show") here in SE Georgia.

There was a wide variety of cars there, everything from better-than-new trailer-queens to rusty rat-rods. So I didn't really worry about not fitting in!

Now understand that my '52 is completely unrestored, and has a few rusty spots on it, so it is no "show queen MV". BUT considering it is over 57 years old, still runs great, everything works, AND it was by far the BIGGEST vehicle there it got more than its fair share of attention.

Most of the other participants were just "car guys" with no chip on their shoulder. & a few even shared stories of how they'd once driven a Deuce when they were in the military.

Overall a great day! I enjoyed all the nice cars, had a few laughs, & made a few new friends. That's exactly why I have this hobby! [thumbzup]

"Cheers!" :beer:

-Bear-

nhdiesel

First off, congrats to the award winners. Its great to see these vehicles taken out where people can enjoy them, and learn more about them and their history.

I'm a "car guy" (used loosely, more into 4x4s and trucks than cars) and have my own opinions of what I like, favorite brands, etc. What really tweaks me is when someone is so hopped up on their particular interest, that all else is junk to them. Come on! I don't care what emblem a vehicle has on it, if its interesting I'll look and admire it. I also enjoy daily drivers and unrestored classics than perfect restorations...I like thinking about the history of it, who might have put a certain scratch in it, etc...but I still admire the work and talent it takes to do a good restoration. I'm not into the early 70's Mustang style, but if someone put a lot of work into one and made it something special, I'll take a look and give praise.

I also tend to be attracted to the oddballs than the popular cars. You can line up a row of mint Mustangs, '57 Chevys, and Chargers, but I'll head to the one Rambler, Desoto, or Studebaker in the place. I just have strange tastes...maybe why I like MVs... :roll:

As long as the awards go to an MV because its the best in the class, or a crowd pick, thats cool. I'd only get upset if it somehow placed in a class it shouldn't really win, and someone who worked really hard on their vehicle should have come out on top. But it sounds like the guys on here got exactly what they deserved, because they had popular vehicles in the shows. Very cool guys!

Jim

Garandfan

How about this? My wife called me from work yesterday saying that one of her coworkers brought in the local news paper with me and my truck in it! I had to laugh. I didn't expect to win anything or be the center of attention. I, like you guys, am humble about what I do in life. As I see it, this hobby is not about the attention, or the competition, or the money that goes into. It's almost is like a brotherhood. Thanks for the congratulatory remarks! But congratulate yourselves too! You had the balls to do something 99.99999% of the people out there will never do. Take your truck to a show, you see adults become kids again. By the way, if any of you want to donate a truck or put it in your last will and testament, keep me in mind!:-D

Everyone has their "thing(s)"...whether it's MV's, cars, houses, kids, chess, boats, sports, knitting, online gaming, woodworking ect...I can appreciate quality work in just about everything-even if I have no interest in it. I sometimes wish I had the drive, time, and motivation to do a 3 year rotisserie restoration, a life-sized Eiffel tower out of popsicle sticks or the worlds largest ball of twine: but at 34 years old, wife with 2 young kids, a job, mortgage-I am lucky to have the toys I do, and a little time to drive and work on them.

Congrats to those who get awards for their accomplishments; it’s awesome to have atrophy to display-I wish I had one to sit on a shelf next to my deuce. If you run into the type of person griping about not winning a plastic trophy for any reason-just move along-it doesn’t matter what “show” or “competition” you are at-that type of person is doing it for the wrong reason.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks