• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC health hazards

AnonymousOne

CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) is a paint used on military vehicles to make metal surfaces highly resistant to corrosion and penetration of chemical agents. Inhaling CARC during the painting and drying process can be harmful. Dry CARC poses no hazards, except during welding or sanding.

Health problems associated with exposure to CARC paint Paint fumes present the most potential risk to users especially when CARC is spray painted, rather than applied with a brush or roller.

CARC paint contains several chemical compounds that can be hazardous when inhaled or exposed to the skin:

Isocyanyte (HDI) – Highly irritating to skin and respiratory system. High concentrations can cause: itching and reddening of skin; burning sensation in throat and nose and watering of the eyes; and cough, shortness of breath, pain during respiration, increased sputum production, and chest tightness. Solvents – Inhaling high concentrations can cause coughing, shortness of breath, watery eyes, and respiratory problems, including asthma Toluene diisocyanate (TDI) – High levels released during the drying process can cause kidney damage.

CARC Paint - Public Health

Truckoholic

Yeah, based on that description, I'm not so worried about it. If it said it causes lung cancer, or mesothelioma or something, I might have had reason to really worry. But if all it does is irritate your skin and lungs.............. I still always wear my respirator anytime I'm working with the stuff, but if that description of it's dangers is really accurate, than it really isn't as bad of stuff as lots of people have indicated.

NEIOWA

Correct. Wear a new high quality filter mask (change filter cartridge repularily).

Or better yet a use a supplied air system/mask. As mentioned in the link above. Check with your local FD for an old SCBA. Lots of the old 2216psi units laying around that have little value as don't meet current standards for FD use. throw $100 at the right FD and you'll both be hapy.

Steel cylinders have only scrap value (as very heavy so few use now). Aluminum low value but need hydrotest every 5yr. Stay away from anything else as while light wight at 15yr have to scrap it (Carbon fiber). Scott is the best brand to go with and MSA is 2nd best anything else don't bother. Get one a Scott unit that has a low pressure hose that looks like a 1/2" air line and a secondary regulator that hooks to the mase (not the antique style with a 2" corregated tube and regulator on the frame).

I'd suggest a Scott mask/mask mounted regulator unit with adapters and hose to make a supplied air unit (a couple steel cylinders). Hauling steel tanks around literal pain in the back. Throw a few $ to the local FD to fill the cylinders as necessary. Note: OSHA requirement is that supplied air compressors have a quarterly air quality sampling (FD should be able to show you their paperwork). Ensure don't have moisture, oil, CO etc in the air you're going to breath. Many FD only do sample twice (perhaps OK) or once a year (not good enough). If they aren't sampling as required I guarantee they are not running the compressor often enough to keep moisture etc out of the pump/cascade tanks.

Do NOT EVER breathe air from your shop air compressor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks