• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC paint

nattieleather

You don't want CARC paint....nasty bad stuff.....what you want is the CARC substitute paint that is out there. The best IMHO is Gillispie paint and you can get it at Rapco and Army Jeep Parts. They have the CARC colors so tuch up and matching will be easy.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, thanks. I assume I just need black, green and tan? Are there different shades of CARC paints? Will the spray cans work good?

CliffW

Re: RE: CARC paint

nattieleather said:
You don't want CARC paint....nasty bad stuff.....what you want is the CARC substitute paint that is out there. The best IMHO is Gillispie paint and you can get it at Rapco and Army Jeep Parts. They have the CARC colors so tuch up and matching will be easy.
Why do you say that carc is nasty bad stuff?

Jones

RE: Re: RE: CARC paint

There are CARC data sheets in the library. The solid additives are various ground silicas and can produce very unpleasant long-term results when ingested. The catalyst for one part CARC is the moisture in the air... or in your lungs; so breathing it should be avoided at all costs.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I re-painted my truck with the latest type II CARC. I then bought a couple of cans of CARC substitute from RAPCO. I use it for minor touchup...undercarriage etc...anyway I'm happy with the color match.

jpinst

Milspay won't sell CARC without a government purchase order. They would not even sell to me with a mil ID. Anyway, the substitute is the same, it just wont hold up in a chemical weapons attack. But it will stick to sanded CARC, but wear breathing protection when you sand or pain the stuff.

THUNDRLOJ

AGREED!! CARC paint is TOXIC in any form except dried and on a surface. Iit stands for CHEMICAL AGENT RESISTANT COATING. Genarally, you need chemicals to resist other chemicals. CARC is dangerous to your body if it is wet or in particulate form...ie. sanding it off. If you use the proper protective gear (read bio uniforms and breathing apparatus), then you should be OK.
I have seen NASTY rashes on folks who were spraying it without the proper clothing. They had on a common painters coveralls. Fortunately they had good masks.
No one who is a backyard mechanic (like most of us) should use it. If you KNOW you have the proper training and protective gear, you are safe. Otherwize, live long and prosper with the substitute!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again, CARC needs no special precautions that any other automotive paint needs when applying it.. Read the directions, wear a suit and a respirator, and you'll be fine..

keith5851

Actually MILSPRAY will only sell CARC paint if you have a cage code. Basically a cage code verifies that you are authorized to use CARC paint. The military is only authorized to purchase such material.

jpinst

So my real question is now I have a bunch of HMMWV doors that rare new except for one which is desert tan. I have a Milspray CARC substitute for which to pain them with, but can I prep sand them with no worries?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been cleaning and painting (Gillispie paint) parts from my truck that are covering in CARC. That stuff may be good for chemical attacks but it ain't worth a crap for finnish or sticking to metal in my opinion. If I was painting a truck that I was planning on keeping for very long I wouldn't use real CARC. It tends to crack and come off in sheets after a while. It could be from lousy military prep work as to why it won't stick but almost everything you see painted with CARC is cracked and pealing.