• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carc paint

ida34

Sherwin Williams industrial supply stores. That is where I get mine but I get it for my "business". Some have been able to buy as individuals while I think some have to be a business to purchase. I think you can also get it from Alfahaven but a lot of people on the board to not like them. I paid about $65 a gallon. For solvent based carc. Water based is more expensive. Are you looking for real carc or carc color paint?

poppop

I painted my 813 with real Military carc that i got on trade from another SS member. I did not have enough so I painted the inside of the bed with Rapco 383 subsitute. Thr truck looks great but I don't think I will use real Carc again. The color matches with the rapco paint, it just does not have the textured look to it. It lays down smooth. If i understand correctly that texture is where all the dangers lie in real Carc.

crazyplowboy

I just sprayed my air filter housing with Rapco spray paint, looks pretty and matches perfect. As said above, there is no texture to the paint like in real CARC but it is the right color. When I go to do the whole truck I am definately going to buy the gallon cans because of the cost and the amount of time it would take to spray with cans.

Nonotagain

As I posted in another thread, there are three specifications for CARC paint.

CARC is an acronym for Chemical Agent Resistant Coating. It was designed to be capable of being decontaminated in the event of nerve agents being used against US forces. CARC also contains pigments that absorb different spectrums of light making it more difficult to observe vehicles using infrared devices.

Mil-C-46168 which is a two component version can be thinned with solvent, usually Mil-T-81772 thinner. The Mil-C-46168 material is easily mixed and usually is the least expensive to purchase.

Mil-C-53039 / Mil-Prf-53039 is a single component material which is reducible with the addition of Mil-T-81772 thinner. The 53039 material must remain closed as it reacts quickly with air causing the paint to skim over. This skim will not dissolve as this is now cured paint.

The newest version of CARC is Mil-Dtl-64159 which can be a two or three part system which is water reducible. The Mil-Dtl-64159 material has only been on the market for a few years and in my opinion still needs work. Mixing in a production environment has been problematic.

The 64159 material was developed at Aberdeen MD.

All polyurethane paints use isocynates as curing agents. There are two types of isocynates used but both cause respiratory problems.

For MV use, any commercially available polyurethane top coat will work for our needs. Fed-Std-595 lists the colors available, and the 30000 series colors are all flat in sheen.

When working with these materials, a respirator is mandatory, even when mixing. It’s not if you will become sensitized to the paint is when. If you feel tightness in your chest while working with the coating this is the first sign that you have been exposed. Any skin contact of the catalyst can cause a reaction.

USMC6062

I used the single component CARC from Sherwin Williams on my tow bar and winch setup. It has always sprayed out smooth for me, but I reduce it with urethane reducer to make it spray better. If you spray it straight out of the can, it will give you texture alright, it will look like it's applied with a roller. I have some rough/textured paint on my truck from the government, but I don't think it's intentional, I think it's the painters being to lazy to thin the paint right, along with not sanding anything so it peels off later.

deuceman51

Guys, I am a dealer for CARC paint, PM me with what colors you need and how many gallons and I can get it for you. Some places can't get it with the shortage, but I seem to be a bit luckier than them.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can CARC be put into a spray can? I am not a painter and don't own a gun, I would just like some for touching up a few spots.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks