• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CARC tan question

cmayer85

I recently bought 2 m818s out of eastover sc. i am looking for a tan to match the color that they currently are to do some touch up but im having a hard time finding it. its not the normal "desert sand" tan color. its a lot lighter. any help is appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

cmayer85

i picked up some krylon camo ultra flat khaki color and it wasnt even close. my truck is more of a yellowish tan and the krylon was a browner tan. thats why im having a hard time because its not the normal desert sand tan color.

ranchhopper

My wrecker was desert tan too it was a depot rebuild it had a lot of sun fade too the second picture is when I just got the truck the first is after I painted it. The third and fourth pics demonstrates the sunfaded paint as opposed to the fresh paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bulldog_MacK13, what a great looking combo, your 818 & 127 both look great!!

Do you have the side panels for the 127? If so, did you paint them as well?

comdiver

I like the light color tan. I haven't been able to get a real answer. Last year there was a trailer outside of the armory and the guys were touching her up. I asked what the color was and they showed me the Home Depo can. So who knows.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
The Military uses whatever they can ge their hands on if they dont have the right paint. I helped paint the back of a LMTV with Krylon , was it the right color , no , but its what we used for that. If you want the right color then go look for 383 CARC Tan , or Rapco's substitute. If you dont care if its the right color or not buy Krylon , Home Depot or whatever you like. Its really up to you and what you want your truck to look like. [thumbzup] , Jay

T

televisionman007

The Military uses whatever they can ge their hands on if they dont have the right paint. I helped paint the back of a LMTV with Krylon , was it the right color , no , but its what we used for that. If you want the right color then go look for 383 CARC Tan , or Rapco's substitute. If you dont care if its the right color or not buy Krylon , Home Depot or whatever you like. Its really up to you and what you want your truck to look like. [thumbzup] , Jay
hey bulldog that does look sharp. I decided on jus 2 colors aswell

lindyp38

rapco ..has a great product......i use their carc green......

since the national guard guys use krylon ultra flat for black and tan...ill be using that same paint......

MASIC

Take a small piece off your truck and get some paint made up. This will be the easiest and best way to do it. I color matched mine and bought cases of paint.

Attachments

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you use Gillespie paint : Post-Vietnam trucks used 30277 Camouflage Sand.
Current Trucks use 686 Tan carc substitute.
The 383 that was mentioned in earlier posts is only brown, or green.