• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Care and feeding of mep003

Diamondjim11

Ok , so now I got my MEP 003 running and making powerpretty consistently. (thanks everyone):) now is there anything I should be watching out for or doing to keep it running and happy? I want to do what I can to increase it's service life. Also side note, my hour meter does not seem to be running.Should it run as long as the engine is turning or is it tied to the generator? Thanks
Jim

Carl_in_NH

Should run when the genset is running; it's powered off the 24V control system. Could be a bad contact on a relay, or a bum connection somewhere in the control cubicle.

Change your oil and filters - that will go a long way to keeping it going. There's some PM in the TM that you can do - pretty basic stuff.

You could buy the spin-on oil filter adapter that Speddmon makes if you don't like the stock paper filters; makes it really easy to change.

m38inmaine

When it's running the meter should be reading. Lube order states oil/filter change every 100 hours. Drain water from filter bowls and check the condition of the air cleaner. I use the original Fram filters for the fuel and oil as they fit correctly and come with the proper gaskets.

EO2NMCB

After you start it bring it up to speed right away. Do NOT let it sit and idle. Seems that VR board does not like it when the set is running at less than 1800 rpm's.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything that they said above, PLUS...load the set up to as close to 100% as you can at least once a year and let it run for about a hour to burn off any carbon deposits left behind...wetstacking does not happen overnight, but it can still happen with these sets.

I run mine for at least an hour every month to keep things moving and lubed properly. And once a year I load it up to burn off the gunk. Also change the oil yearly regardless of hours on the meter. Clean oil is the key to engine life!!!!!!!!!!

And like Carl mentioned, I have the spin-on oil filter kits available...see my signature line for the link to the classified ad.

steelandcanvas

I would suggest using a fuel additive such as Diesel-Kleen, Lucas, or something simlilar. Remember we don't have the sulper lubricant in the diesel fuel anymore. I use it in the Deuce and my 003A genset. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Diamondjim11

Guys,Thanks for all the help. I pulled the Hobbs meter out and tested it , it does not run. I will replace that and see. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I appreciate all the input you gave to help me with this. It made the process a whole lot less painful.

Crash_AF

I would suggest using a fuel additive such as Disel-Kleen, Lucas, or something simlilar. Remember we don't have the sulper lubricant in the diesel fuel anymore. I use it in the Deuce and my 003A genset. [thumbzup]
If you are not using it for on road use Off Road (Non Taxed) diesel typically has higher sulpher content and is cheaper. You'll have to call a supplier to find it and either pick it up or have it delivered (usually for a fee).

Later,
Joe

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are not using it for on road use Off Road (Non Taxed) diesel typically has higher sulpher content and is cheaper. You'll have to call a supplier to find it and either pick it up or have it delivered (usually for a fee).

Later,
Joe
If you live in an urban area, off-road diesel is relatively hard to find. If you live in an agricultural area, it is quite common. I have at least 10 sources of off-road within 30 minutes of where I live.

steelandcanvas

Later,
Joe
We do have a Co-Op here in town with red diesel. Next time I fill the genset up, I'll probably use it and put in the Diesel-Kleen anyway. I'm sure there are other additives and lubricants in the Diesel-Kleen the genset likes.

Crash_AF

If you live in an urban area, off-road diesel is relatively hard to find. If you live in an agricultural area, it is quite common. I have at least 10 sources of off-road within 30 minutes of where I live.
Not necessarily, call your local equipment rental house (United Rentals, etc) and ask them what supplier they get their off-road diesel from. Most will be happy to give you a vendor and possibly even a contact name.

Later,
Joe

PeterD

For me the off-road diesel pump is right next to the on-road pump!

Hint: check suppliers of fuel oil (home heating oil) and see if they carry it. Around here many do. I also know a lot of off-road diesel users who simply use home heating oil #2, and get it delivered for free... :wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks