• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Bed Dump Conversion Hinge Designs

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, been out playing in my empire of dirt for the last several days.IMG_4424.jpgI was wanting to get the truck bound up and get some pictures and measurements of how low the driveshaft can drop below the frame, but didn’t happen yet.

I did get a couple more hinge shots though.IMG_4442.jpgIMG_4443.jpgIMG_4441.jpgMy hinge pin is 1.25” and I think my hinge would let my bed go completely vertical if my hoist had enough stroke. This could easily be modified to accommodate your 2” lift and maybe moved back to retain your bumpers.
I think you will have enough room for your cylinders, with the bottoms mounted close behind the bottom rear corners of your fuel and hydraulic tanks, just wont know your dump angle and capacity until you get some specs on those cylinders.

big block 88

I like that hinge layout. Low profile and tied in well.

One thing that i think is a big bonus on the 5 tons is my frame is well shorter than my bed. That would make tucking a nice compact hinge up in there easier. Deuces dont have dont have that option (with the bed located in the stock location). I did move 1 bed back 10" on one to make room for another spare tire. Didnt work out well when the owner waited till i was finished to tell me he was going to super singles. Bed needed another 2" to make it work without interference.

big block 88

Toby. Welding hardened steel is fine. Just keep your temps normalized by preheat post heat and controlled cool and it will be fine. If welded cold and allowed to cool the parent metal can migrate to the puddle causeing brittleness to the point cracking as if a standard weld were quenched. control the heating and cooling and you will be fine.

my question to you engineers is how much weight is really on the hinges and pins at full dump?

Last edited:

74M35A2

Engineer answer: Only the weight of the empty bed.

This is good for generating ideas. Thanks. I’m going to go with a non-cross-bar arrangement due to my rear winch cable payout. Between what I have seen here and Google images of others, I think I am so far going to mill the top off of a thick walled 4” square tube to shape it like a U saddle, and then go with a tube which resides into it, welded to the bed frame rail. Possibly hardened large diameter bolt or other metal shaft piece.

Pressure treated 4x4 posts planed down to 3” sqaure.

Last edited:

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice . I see you made new outside plates. I think those bumpers are hardened, so welding to them wouldn't work

Wow, that is a load. My shorter bed on the M929 cannot take that much. Some concrete loads can be as heavy, but your bed length can hold more volume. I agree the foot overhang helps a bit. My concern is frame flex. Did you weigh that load?
New temporary side supports working pretty well, only bent one once!

Thinking he might not have to weld to his bumpers, but you may be right, they might be spring.

4 heaped scoops from the 977, should be right at 12 yards, 13-14 ton. Went down to 9 yard loads due to some gnarly hills and creek crossing, made about 20 one mile round trips all off road, low range. Truck and bed are holding up great, biggest problem is the drop sides so far.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...my question to you engineers is how much weight is really on the hinges and pins at full dump?
Not an engineer type, but lot of possible variables... I had some hinge plates off a big 21 ton dump bed that had 2” pins, but where only in a single shear. That bed had the single cylinder tower in the front, and it’s fairly common to raise those beds 45 degrees, before releasing the tailgate while spreading gravel.

big block 88

Could you put a roller on the one piece pin for the winch cable to ride on? In the rare instance that you would winch higher than the truck the roller would keep the cable off the bed and maybe help with a smooth wind?

74M35A2

I just see a cross bar getting bent, and never being able to remove it again unless cut and remake. Not a big deal, but would rather not have it there. I’m going to make a large version of this, without the side attachment holes, those will instead run fore and aft, or just fore for the truck frame side. Distance between plates will be 3”, unless somebody says their bed lifted 2” additional still hits their 16” XZL’s...

32F6E2AE-CED9-4DAB-A5A5-72B61FBFF1EF.jpeg

Check these bad dogs out, this was also interesting, and very flexible for a bolt on hinge to make any dimensions you need, I really like the angle iron:

870DD23A-B616-4395-99F7-AADDACEA1553.jpg

Last edited:

big block 88

No i think those hinges you have above would be great. Having the ability to remove it would be nice. I just kept the welds where i can zip them off fast and easy.

tobyS

That is a lot of dirt! Do you know how many yards and the weight?

Prior post

"4 heaped scoops from the 977, should be right at 12 yards, 13-14 ton. Went down to 9 yard loads due to some gnarly hills and creek crossing, made about 20 one mile round trips all off road, low range. Truck and bed are holding up great, biggest problem is the drop sides so far."

Last edited:
I know youve seen my thread but heres some from my conversion. If things go the right way you may get to see it in person. I used 3" dom for the outer bushing. The rear hinge and upper hoist pivot are 3" od 2 1/4" id. dom for the bushing and 2 1/4 1/2" wall for the pin. the lower hoist pivot is 3" od 2 1/2 id for the bushing and 2 1/2 1/2 wall dom. The subframe gives it 3" more height and ties everything together to the original bed mounts plus a few more on factory holes. The side guide straps bolt through the front rivet holes of the double frame.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

74M35A2

More useful ideas, thanks. Your work looks good.

I was at Crystal Used Truck Parts in Dearborn, MI today on my lunch break. Guy said I could have any dump hoist in the yard for $300. I’m looking for a simplier scissor hoist for my trailer project to have a tandem dump. Here is a shot of some factory hinges on a dump body that was there:

F6E19574-1BE5-4B08-A61D-5E3C9C42B981.jpg

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That hinge setup is pretty much exactly what you posted earlier.

Like most here, im also a fan of overbuilding things. Especially things that will take a lot of weight. I think pretty much any idea posted here would work if executed properly.

Supposedly your inbox is full. For some reason you must not have gotten my message on the angles and capacity

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks