• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Cover Super Rope

mdemars03

I am planning on ordering some of the correct super rope for my cargo cover but in the mean time I am thinking about using 550 cord to keep my cargo cover on. Now to make long trips or drive anything over about 45 mph the cover will come off anyway for fuel economy reasons. Anybody see why 550 cord wont work in place of the super rope for the time being?

Piper Cub

Seems like it would probably work ok, but you might want to put some rubber tube or tape around the cord where it goes into the slots in the cover so it doesn't dig in since it's so much smaller/ stiffer than the rubber rope. It might be a little tough to get it tight since the 550 won't stretch as much.

mdemars03

I didn't think about the fact that it is smaller and will dig in more. This is just a temporary situation until I can get some super rope for it.

FloridaAKM

Order your super rope from McMaster-Carr & you will be done with it. It comes in several different materials depending on how much you want to pay, but you should be able to do your entire cover for less than $50.00 including shipping!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what you want is edmp 5/16 as it is weather and ozone resistant. Mc Master, Grainger, zoro etc. Not really that much more and much better than the OE stuff they used which was junk at least in gma's covers....

FloridaAKM

I buy lots of stuff from McMaster-Carr both for myself & the company I work for. One day shipping is always the norm, unlike other vendors. Too bad they don't handle military truck supplies..........that would be a credit card breaker! After buying 4 covers still in the crates & having to replace every inch of the original super rope, the OEM stuff is junque to say the least!

mdemars03

Thank you all for the input. Like I said this is just a temporary fix until I get the correct super rope. I plan on ordering it tonight if I have a chance while I'm at work. I just want something to keep the cover on with wind while it's parked and if I take it out around town.