• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Covers - how to bend?

toddbe

It's time to put the top on the Duece. However several of the top bows are broken beyond repair (got it that way). Is there a good way to bend the wood to match the bend of the other pieces?

Thanks for any help.

212sparky

Build a steamer out of PVC pipe. Boil water. Pour in pipe and it softens the wood. Then clamp it to a template that has slightly more bend then the bows you are matching. Then you are done.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also laminate it by building a jig out of plywood to the right arc, and then glue up strips of wood and clamp them. Might be easier than steaming a thicker piece of wood. Use Tightbond waterproof glue and a lot of clamps.

toddbe

Ron - thanks so much for the info. Your advice worked wonderfully. First one is sitting in the bending jig now drying, with the second one is in the steamer now. Might just replace all of them.

Before somebody says it (worthless without photos) I will add photo when I put the second board in the jig.

welldigger

Please do add pics. I have a set of wood bows that are in awful shape. However at least 2 are in great shape so I have a good template.

Scarecrow1

I did custom wood work for more years than I care to remember and Sparky had the best plan to resolve the issue. The only problem with steaming the wood is it is more likely to warp or flatten out in time due to humidity and heat. The laminated boards will hold their shape forever and with a polyurethane glue will last for as long as you have the truck with proper care. Good luck if the steaming doesn't work try this way............

toddbe

WellDigger - so you see what other people have written - I started the 'steaming' and will continue. The worse that can happen - I've learned a new lesson.

I boiled hot water in this 'tea pot' of my wife. HOT water in 3 minutes (much like my life). Poured into tube, capped at let it sit. Repeat, again and again . . .
I screwed three small pieces of 2x4 to a 2x6 with the bend desired. When I added the 2nd board this morning the first held most of it shape nicely. I will leave them there and dry.
The board on top of the jig is the old broken one.

If it does not work - lost $8.00 in boards, will reuse the pipe so not a loss, and lost a little time. Would love to hear if other have tried this and the outcome.

_DSC6620.jpg_DSC6616.jpg _DSC6619.jpg_DSC6615.jpg

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another way to do this with steam is to buy a steamer for removing wall paper. Simply drill a hole in the end cap of the PVC pipe you used. Discard the plastic applicator from the steamer and screw the steam line into the PVC pipe cap. You will also need a small vent hole in the opposite pipe cap. Works great and not so labor intensive.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All great ideas, and definitely more creative than I could offer. My suggestion would be to contact CARNAC or check the classifieds for bows. I have regularly paid about $20 a bow complete (two uprights, two elbows, and a top bow). They are around.

markmontana

I buy nice wood (like new) bows for $10 and pay $20 for steel bows- max. Have picked up quite a few over the years. I only mention this so you can ask the question- "What is my time worth?"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks