• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cartridge Filter Bad for ALT Fuel?

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm new to the diesel world with my recently acquired M1010 ambulance. I'm interested in running WMO or WVO. My fuel system is currently stock with the cartridge filter system. I've had the truck for just over two months and drive it about 100 miles a week so far. If I got good at sourcing cheaper fuel I'd drive it even more.

Do I need to make any changes to the fuel system before I go playing around with alternative fuels? It seems that plugging filters is common when experimenting and I just want to know if getting real familiar with my stock cartridge setup will be enough or if I will need to "upgrade" to a spin-on filter setup. Any advice or recommended reading is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

Hammer

I recommend the spin-on filter swap.
Besides being able to get a much bigger/better filter, you can get one that has the water separator with a drain.
I ran a tube off the drain on my 1009, so I can easily catch whatever drains out.
Catching what drains out into a clear plastic soda bottle lets you see what the filter is stopping (and drain off extra water/crud.)
And a big thing, if you start getting sluggish, many times you can just do a quick drain to get the extra crud out of the filter, and still drive home and change the filter out later.

Shrapnel

Just a Hoosier stuck out west!
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck is also equipped with the extra cold weather fuel heater system (look at picture). I don't know if it is currently working or not, but would it be easy to keep if I go the spin-on route? I currently live in SC, but I'll be moving in a year and don't know where I'll end up. Cold weather performance could be an issue depending on where I move to.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks