• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 3116 m1079 leak

jtforsythe

I have a 1998M 1079 cat 3116. It’s developed a small leak and I believe I pinpointed it down to this part. The picture is taken from underneath the driver side. Does anybody know what this part is? This is a common problem, and what part to fix it. Thanks
D70E5CD4-17BD-4109-B7BF-7BF468851A4E.jpeg

jtforsythe

The tee that both switch and sending unit screw into just feel like it needs to be tightened. Is there anyway to tighten it without pulling off the entire mechanism? Mine looks like the T is one unit , and I’m not able to spin it without pulling off the mechanism.

Ronmar

The yellow thing you circled is an oil distribution manifold. The black thing towards the bottom of the pic is the 15PSI oil pressure switch, and the bottom edge of the oil pressure gauge sender is just visible pointing up behind the power steering pump. Nice pic of the green air compressor support bracket, don’t let that get loose:)

Should just be a paper gasket between that manifold and the block. First thing I would do is make sure its bolts are tight. Then that all the things connected to it are also tight. If that doesn’t fix it, disconnect the sensor wires and you should be able to remove the manifold with sensors to renew it’s gasket. While you have it out remove the sensors and put a little pipe sealant on their 1/8” NPT threaded ports…

As mentioned, sometimes the sensor failure mode is to leak oil, so it could be a bad sensor. Only way to really determine this is to clean it up really well, then start it up and watch it… Another method, is after a good cleanup, tie a short strip of white rag around the fitting on each sensor or tap to see where the oil builds up…

The crankcase vent hose also hangs in this area so oil in this area from blowby gasses on the starter and inside of drivers frame is not uncommon, and a pain to clean up. I pulled that crankcase vent hose up and over the frame in front of the power steering reservoir so the end hangs outside the frame rail. You can see it without raising the cab and any oil residue is outside the frame away from the starter and all the hoses and wiring that run along the inside of that frame rail…

I am still cleaning out oily residue in that area from when I picked up the truck from auction…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks