• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 3116 running vmo

atbhaack

Hello,

I have been running Wmo in my cat motor, and am up to 80% wmo. I filter it to 1 micron using the oiltofuel system. I haven't had any problem and wondering if anyone is running more then 80%

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I looked into running fuel other than #1/#2 in my M35A3.. The CAT folks I talked to said to not do it period. They said it would shorted the life of the engine a lot. Will be interesting to see how long yours runs well before it pukes.

garp

How much do you actually drive your truck? If you cant afford the diesel fuel, buy a VW. At $400 a piece,approx, for each injector. Plus 8 hrs labor @ $100 an hour. Not taking into account possible reaming/replacement/coining of injector coppers if needed. I would stick to running fuel of good quality, using CAT fuel filters and performing your other maintenance items as required and you will be money ahead. Plus, even thinned out, WMO is thicker than fuel oil. What undo stress are you placing on the injector tips? That stress also transfers to the camshaft and followers. Drop an injector tip and then start the spending: cylinder head, turbo, piston{If your lucky}and the block? No sleeve to replace here. Just my TWO cents, I have worked on and around this engine for almost 18 yrs now, I KNOW how spendy things can get. If you still want to run WMO, buy a multifuel, they seem to tolerate it. Because the first thing you are gonna blame when it takes a dump is not going to be yourself for running unapproved fuels, it will be the engine. And I have seen these engines tortured, abused and ran in un-Godly conditions. ButI am quite certain, none ofthem would have lived that life running WMO. Oil gets changed fora reason, its time is up. Send it to the recycler, buy diesel.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:
What he said.
I run a 50/50 in my multifuel, but when I had a 3116 I did not think of running wmo in it.
Your just asking for problems.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a Chevy Kodiak with the 3116 engine. I was getting coolant burning in the cylinders. Bad injectors. A trip to my local CAT dealer convenced me that this engine, while good, is VERY expensive to repair. It was over $2500 just to replace the injectors. And even more is something else was wrong.

Almost a throwaway when it breaks. The injectors require special tools to repair and replace.

Take garp's advice since he works on them.

Last edited:

atbhaack

I understand what you guys are saying, but I have already saved over 3k in fuel and if it goes another 10k with out problems then that turns to 6k. It seems to run smoother and quieter on the oil, and has more power. It does run about 20 degrees warmer. I have a fuel heater on it as well since I was worried about the thickness.

Now my concern is the ash from the additives, I am not sure about this but I believe that there are some additives in oil that will not burn. I haven't seen any buildup, I changed a turbo gasket and it seemed normal.

I do hear that this is the worst motor cat has ever made, it has 322k on it and runs like a top. If it goes I know it is the fuel that has shorted its life but from what I read this is about at its full life expectancy of this motor, if not longer.

If it does go maybe I will put a 3406 cat in its place!

I do appreciate your guys response and took me a while to post this question because this is what I hear about this motor running alternate fuels. I thought with as many m35a3 out there now maybe someone else been playing.(maybe with a bomb) Mine is in a top kick crew cab pickup.(I know it isn't a military truck)(working on a bobbed m35a2)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Even with the multi, your not supposed to run "other" fuels. I have saved enough not to worry about it. The motor can break in half and I will still have saved money in the long run.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was under the impression that the 6.2/6.5 wouldn't break in half, the IPs would just crap out. The multis have a rep for getting windows in the blocks.

atbhaack

6.2 and 6.5 I never heard any real problems but lack of power. Just like any motor, running out of the sweet zone and boom! I believe that is the problem with cat 3116 and the multi. Both motors you hear of a full long life, from responsible drivers.

trukhead

How much do you actually drive your truck? If you cant afford the diesel fuel, buy a VW. At $400 a piece,approx, for each injector. Plus 8 hrs labor @ $100 an hour. Not taking into account possible reaming/replacement/coining of injector coppers if needed. I would stick to running fuel of good quality, using CAT fuel filters and performing your other maintenance items as required and you will be money ahead. Plus, even thinned out, WMO is thicker than fuel oil. What undo stress are you placing on the injector tips? That stress also transfers to the camshaft and followers. Drop an injector tip and then start the spending: cylinder head, turbo, piston{If your lucky}and the block? No sleeve to replace here. Just my TWO cents, I have worked on and around this engine for almost 18 yrs now, I KNOW how spendy things can get. If you still want to run WMO, buy a multifuel, they seem to tolerate it. Because the first thing you are gonna blame when it takes a dump is not going to be yourself for running unapproved fuels, it will be the engine. And I have seen these engines tortured, abused and ran in un-Godly conditions. ButI am quite certain, none ofthem would have lived that life running WMO. Oil gets changed fora reason, its time is up. Send it to the recycler, buy diesel.
I appreciate you insight on these engines. I have been running Standyne Lubricity Formula with each tank of diesel fuel in my A3. It was suggested that 2 cycle oil, 2 quarts per tank (50 gallons of so) is better. I will also need to fuel up a CUCV. What do you recommend as additives for these engines when using the low sulpher fuel?:driver:

I have some several year old diesel fuel conditioner on the shelf. Does the conditioner go bad from sitting?

atbhaack

when I ran #2 in mine I used lucus. With the wmo I use 6 oz of seafoam for a 55 gallon drum. I also run some acetone in it. That really helps the milage. That people debate about more then the oil.

hornetfan

Thanks for this post. I've been considering changing my 3116 for a Cummins 6BTA at about 270hp for better power, fuel mileage, and road speed. You have given me the last reason I needed to convince myself it is worth the effort to change the engine and probably tranny (either a 3053A or G56-AE 6-speed). The Cats are too expensive to be in a military truck much less a SURPLUS military truck driven by somebody like me that could never have afforded to buy one used or new for what it's really worth!

$400 injectors which are labor intensive in an intolerant-of-fuel engine don't make sense -- at least for me -- in a truck that cost me $5k.

garp

an intolerant-of-fuel engine ????????????? Reallly?

Well, If you use fuel oil instead of drain oil,you wont have issues.

And as far as additives go, Stanadayne Lubricity Formula is by-far the best. Save you 2cycle oil for the chainsaw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks