• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cat 7155 questions

Bearpaws

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum and like to say what a good bunch you all are!
Have a question about the oil used in the 7155 trans and what filter it uses?
Won a 920 at Nellis in January and the Euc cleared. Will be heading that way next week to hopefully get her and drive back to Arizona. Okay on the rest of the truck.
Looks to have a lot of the same components used on commercial trucks. Wiring might be different with the dual voltages. Also one concern is the front axle bearings. Work many years in the open pit copper mines all across the west. The company I worked for had some IHC paystar 5000 6x6 bulk powder trucks that had the same front end in them. Had bearing failures due to contamination or lack of preventative maintenace. It would damage the hub and the spindle. Parts were hard to get quickly and very expensive. The new hubs came with a grease fitting in the center that at every service a person would give it 4 or 5 pumps from the grease gun. I don't know if anyone has had problems yet? It becomes a dangerous situation when bearing,hub and spindle become one! Not sure if these trucks should travel over the 60 mph with greased hubs.Sorry for wondering off! Faron..

R Racing

I haven't seen or heard any front end failures on the M916 or M920 ? I know they are rated to like 20 inches of fordging but thats not alot. .

M920

Hello to all. I'm new to this forum and like to say what a good bunch you all are!
Have a question about the oil used in the 7155 trans and what filter it uses?
Won a 920 at Nellis in January and the Euc cleared. Will be heading that way next week to hopefully get her and drive back to Arizona. Okay on the rest of the truck.
Looks to have a lot of the same components used on commercial trucks. Wiring might be different with the dual voltages. Also one concern is the front axle bearings. Work many years in the open pit copper mines all across the west. The company I worked for had some IHC paystar 5000 6x6 bulk powder trucks that had the same front end in them. Had bearing failures due to contamination or lack of preventative maintenace. It would damage the hub and the spindle. Parts were hard to get quickly and very expensive. The new hubs came with a grease fitting in the center that at every service a person would give it 4 or 5 pumps from the grease gun. I don't know if anyone has had problems yet? It becomes a dangerous situation when bearing,hub and spindle become one! Not sure if these trucks should travel over the 60 mph with greased hubs.Sorry for wondering off! Faron..
The 7155 cat tranny uses 30 weight syntetic engine oil....not sure what the military puts in to them. The filter is just a screen that you clean out and reuse.

I have not had or heard of any problems with the M916-920 front hubs. Repacked mine when I changed the gears and just keep them greased.
The grease fitting on those is kind of hard to find and on the inboard side of the spindle....you have to turn the wheels all the way to the left or right to get to them.

Soni

Bearpaws

I will jack up each side of the front axle and check for play and hunt down those grease fittings before I head home with the truck. Will want to check into this 7155 some more. Is the gear sections oil splash lubed or is there any gear pumps internally to lube the bearings? Would be good to have a external spin on filter somewhere if there was a pressure port. Will check it out later. Hope the truck is good as it looks.

Attachments

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That looks like nice ride.

I liked the Cats when the Army was footing the bill to repair them.

The prob with owning one now is finding someone to work on them.

Most Cat Dealers are not familiar with them because they had a limited civilian application.

The M916 I bought to resell did great coming home and the new owner says he has had no probs with it.

Good luck with the recovery.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks