• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cat engine in a 5 ton

big hoss

Im getting my hands on a 5 ton with a blown engine and insted of putting the 250 back in i was thinking about a cat 3406c 475 hp and a 13 speed. any other ideas?

Westech

CPL
well you will have to move the T case... and the stock trans controls the Sprag unit too, so you will loose 6x6. You might want to figure out how your truck works before you try to re invent it and mess it all up.
You may be able to install a 900 case so you can keep your 6x6... but you will still be gear bound and top speeds wont go up that much... also at higher speeds the internals of the axles are FLYING! and may not get the proper lube needed. Keep in mind that the bearings are grease packed and not oil lubed... high speeds tend to make them un happy. If you want a big HP 6x6 you might just want to buy a 916 or other 900 cargo and hop that up.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It is still going to be gear bound due to the axle ratios......that Kitty Cat will suck the bottom out of the fuel tank if you are running it WFO. Putting super singles on it will help a little but you are still not going anywhere fast.

The good news is that it will pull l-lells half acre if you can hook a chain to it.

If you replace the stock transmission you will get rid of that annoying gap between 3rd and 4th that makes 800 series 5 tons fall flat on their faces.

If you want to keep the front wheel drive capability you will have to do a lot of fabbing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks