• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Catastrophic engine failure.

Dr.Jay

My M1009 has suffered some very bad luck. I have not honestly driven it, or worked on it since Christmas eve, when the engine developed serious problems while returning from the local off road park.
I have not had very much time to do a diagnosis because of my busy work schedule, and other commitments.

A little history.
The M1009 has been on the road since last September, and it only would get driven on the weekends, by me, and I let one of my employees borrow it while her truck was down for repairs for a few days.
On occasion it would lose power, and misfire, for a very short time (seconds) followed by a single high pitched chirp, and the power would suddenly come back, and all would be normal again.

The power loss gremlin attacked again on Christmas eve while driving home from the local 4x4 park, causing me to have to tow the 1009 back home. I had thought the loss of power was caused by the failing Injection pump that was plugging the return check ball ever few days, causing black smoke intermittently, and hard starting.

So the diagnostics began yesterday.
Before attempting to get it to start again I checked the engine fluid levels, and noticed the oil was a little high, and milky. I tried to bar the engine over, and it was hydrolocked. I removed the glow plugs, and antifreeze poured out the # 2 cyl.
A blown head gasket was what I thought the problem was. So I disassembled that side.

This is what I found.
IMAG0770.jpgIMAG0772.jpg
Foreign object in combustion chamber (appears it was nut)
IMAG0771.jpg
Cracked block
Along with a bent intake valve on #2cyl

I don't know how long the nut had been in the engine. (It belonged to the forestry service before I got it.)
It does explain why I had the intermittent misfire. The nut was holding the intake valve open. I can only speculate, that it finally dropped through while on the way home from off roading, and cracked the block.

Decisions, Decisions :roll:

Last edited:

GPrez

That sucks. Are you going to look for another 6.2L to drop in? If I had this issue with my M1009 I think I would stick with the 6.2L, but if it happened to my M1028 I would probably build a 454 to drop in it.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man I hate to see that. I believe if it were me, I would probably watch GL for a good 6.2 take-out. Or better yet, you may want to place an ad in the classifieds here on SS for one of those units.

scottladdy

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I guess there is a lesson to be learned here. Don't ignore symptoms. If it doesn't seem right, figure out why.

I guess I'd be looking for a good deal on a new 6.5 TD and I'd put a mechanical IP on it, depending on the condition of the rest of the truck.

Best of luck to you in getting it fixed.

Last edited:

2002ford

I recently got a truck from GL that is like this. When I went to put oil in the fill tube it wouldnt go down. So I unhooked the fill tube and looked from the other side. It was full of rocks and sand and blocked the oil tube. There was rocks in the front timing gears and it was a mess. The engine runs but it knocks and smokes real bad. These things happen.

I will post pics when I tear the engine down. I want to see what damage was done. Its a shame to becouse it only had 10k on it.

Dr.Jay

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I guess there is a lesson to be learned here. Don't ignore symptoms. If it doesn't seem right, figure out why.

I guess I'd be looking for a good deal on a new 6.5 TD and I'd put a non electric IP on it, depending on the condition of the rest of the truck.

Best of luck to you in getting it fixed.

Yes, I learned my lesson.
The symptoms were so intermittent, and would only last for a second. I could not get it to replicate the problem when I tried to diagnose it. I was leaning toward a failing IP because all of the tell tail signs were there.

I have several 6.2 surplus engines in cans. Some are have been torn down, and some are complete. I just have to go through them, and see if any are still good.
I do have a complete 6.5 TD out of a Humvee in a can, but I know it has a spun rod bearing

Typically what I find is that the can engines have spun rod bearings, or the IP is faulty. Being that I have learned my lesson I will be disassembling the candidate engine, and running it on a test stand, before It gets installed.

I also have all of the pares from a 6.5 TD bus in a crate that I was planning on installing into the 1009 this summer. Now might be the better time to install it onto whatever engine I choose.

scottladdy

Talk about irony. If you had replaced the IP, you would have had to take the intake manifold off. Most likely you would have seen the foreign body, err nut.

The lesson was for all of us BTW.

At least it sounds like you probably have enough spares to make a few good engines. I wish I was in your shoes. My wife, dear as she is and very supportive of my MV addiction (just ask her who's truck the M1009 is, that's right, hers!) keeps reminding me we don't have enough room for all the stuff I want to get. She is right of course ...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks