• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB and 2- meter antenna builds.

RockHillWill

I am new to the forum and to owning a military vehicle. I have acquired an M998 outfitted as a troop carrier and already own the windshield, roof and slant back items (all from the same vehicle) to convert it to an M1026. Once completed I am interested in having a working CB radio and a 2-meter radio for local Red Cross communication in the event of an emergency. I am not new to auto restorations and fabricating, but am as dumb as a rock regarding anything electrical. I want to maintain the military antenna appearance of the antennas, but want the functionality of the CB and 2M antennas and radios. Can anyone guide me how I might modify (which?) antenna to achieve this? Thanks!

dmetalmiki

Well if it's any use to you, I used to own and drive a cammo Renault 4!..(On Base). And I fitted a cobra 142 GTL-DX in it..And for (outrageous) looks..It was hooked up to, and worked with a 17 foot (type of) Antenna from a scrap P4 fire truck. It worked really well. And don't forget (for the sceptics) You can use (and I did) A good quality SWR and Aerial Matcher).

dmetalmiki

I forgot to Welcome you to the site,Hobby, friendships, and events to come. Post up some pictures of your truck. And any progress work or modifications you are carrying out.

Wire Fox

For your 2M radio, most of the SINCGARS radio antennas will work. They're covering the same VHF radio spectrum.

For the CB, you would have to use one of the HF radio antennas, which tend to be stupidly expensive for what they are.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

Dock Rocker

For your 2M radio, most of the SINCGARS radio antennas will work. They're covering the same VHF radio spectrum.

For the CB, you would have to use one of the HF radio antennas, which tend to be stupidly expensive for what they are.

I think he is right. I don’t think you can get one antenna to get both bands. You could do a 2 antenna setup and make one of the a 72 inch whip for your CB. You could make it look somewhat like it belongs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's no way you can get a single antenna to do both bands. Didn't we speak about this at the Georgia Rally?

ryanruck

I've got an MX-6707 I'm going to use for CB.

http://www.flashoffroad.com/radio/Milantenna/milAntenna_cb.htm

Keep your eyes open and you can find them reasonably priced. I got mine for $165 complete and shipped.

RockHillWill

Sorry guys, I did not mean to imply that I wanted only one antenna. I wish to have two antennas, mounted in the normal left and right locations.

Patracy, yes, there were a couple of you gentlemen that spent some time with me in that regard, and I am most appreciative of the time you spent with me, but this only highlights my lack of both knowledge and understanding regarding this subject. I keep running into either conflicting information, or I run into a dead end search, or it is entirely possible(or obvious) that I am not capable of understanding this.

I have built more than 85 NASCAR stock cars during a 24 year racing career, restored three of them that are in national Museums, and restored the 2 highest commercial Model A's in their 47 year history, one of which is going into the Henry Ford Museum, but the lack of my understanding of this project is getting to be downright embarrassing.

I was hoping to find an antenna part number that might apply for either use, or 'modify' one for use. I only want it to appear to be original. I am surprised that there is no one in this hobby that has not done this antenna work. Again, I am interested in doing ONE antenna for use with CB, and the other for 2-meter (HAM) use, as I have volunteered to assist in some local Red Cross emergency work.

I will be posting work as progress is made once I actually get my Humvee from GovPlanet. I have made some beginning pages on my website for the recording of progress. Click on the picture of the Humvee, (one is what I am starting with and the other is what I intend to build into) and it will go to the pages, but I have VERY LITTLE posted at this time.

http://www.mantiquesresto.com/Projects/Projects2.html

Thanks again for the welcome, help and encouragement.

RockHillWill

If I were able to acquire one of the MX-6707 antenna bases for using as a CB antenna, would I be correct in using the AS-1730/VRC bottom section and the AT-1095/VRC top section ? is the top 'tip' SC-C-446180 needed as well ?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The mast for the As-3900 and the Mx-6707 are different threads and not interchangeable from what I understand.

The cheaper sincgars antenna is the AS-3916 which uses a steel whip. Usually the bases are cheap. Make sure you get one with the collet nut if you do so. Hainey Electric on ebay has the whips reasonable.

A relatively cheap dual band base is the Harris RF-390 but the antennas are hard to find and pricey.

I am not a ham so I don't know frequencies well but the attached Shakespearce catalog has a lot of good info.

Good luck on your quest

Attachments

Wire Fox

Hey guys, I had a member point out to me they I made a statement in error. SINCGARS antennas only cover 30-88MHz, not 144MHz needed for 2M radio usage. Use of a common military antenna would require some modification. There do exist some broadband antennas that will function on 144MHz, but they're not prominent enough to think of a good one to recommend.

papakb

Citizens band operates in the 27 Mhz frequency range which is just below the normal tactical FM range of 30-88 Mhz. Being this close to the citizens band you can generally operate using either the AT-1729 or AS-3900 antennas. The freq match isn't perfect but will work. 2 meter radios operate on 146 Mhz and there aren't really any military antennas that will do well in that region unless you get one of the newer Harris antennas that will work from 30 to 512 Mhz. You might check with 86hmmv to see if Greg has anything available.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Harris and Shakespeare dual band 30-512 mhz stuff available.
Shakespeare SF3512/vrc and Harris RF-390 look the same.
No RF-390's here.
Also have Harris RF3183-AT013 dual band 30-512.
And AS-3916 steel whip 30-88.
I used a Cb on a 6707 tunned to the 30 range...it worked ok when antenna was straight up....tied back...SWR got bad.

Last edited:

RockHillWill

Hey, thanks guys. I have acquired a few antenna bases and antennas and have gotten a local CB guy to help me. As I make progress, I am sure to use this information. Thank again! I will post if and when I get this sorted out.

Leapdog

The mast for the As-3900 and the Mx-6707 are different threads and not interchangeable from what I understand.

The cheaper sincgars antenna is the AS-3916 which uses a steel whip. Usually the bases are cheap. Make sure you get one with the collet nut if you do so. Hainey Electric on ebay has the whips reasonable.

A relatively cheap dual band base is the Harris RF-390 but the antennas are hard to find and pricey.

I am not a ham so I don't know frequencies well but the attached Shakespearce catalog has a lot of good info.

Good luck on your quest
Where could you find the missing parts ? I found a base missing the collet nut. Is it possible to make one from a bolt? Drill the center and cut the vertical slots so it compresses?

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
For the military cool look, scrounge around and Epay the price.

For the most part, the ones out there are not an effective antenna for the frequencies your looking for.

There are a couple wide band military models hard to find or crazy priced.

For performance at a 10th of the cost go with a commercial / off the shelf one that is cut / designed for the band you are operating.

Two meters = 146 Mhz and CB 27.5 Mhz. Not going to be easy to find in one antenna.

Want the look? Rattle can ... paint to match, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks