• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB radio in M1028 install

MarcusOReallyus

I was also told that the "extra" should be laid out in equal loops parallel to a metal surface(like the hood in my case) to maximize your "parralel plane". he could be blowing smoke. not sure.

The part in blue is hogwash. Probably something he was told and now believes religiously.

Equal loops isn't so important, but gentle loops IS important. HUGELY important. You don't EVER want to kink or dent your coax. Not even a little bit. Treat that stuff like it's made of thin glass.

I would NOT use the speedo grommet. Too much chance of pinching or crushing that coax. It's just too tight with both the speedo cable and the coax trying to go through that hole.

I'd locate a safe place where I can see both sides of the firewall and drill my own hole, and put in my own grommet.

Corvette1974

He is, to an extent. If you are running an antenna that needs no ground plane, he is partially correct in that front fender being a good spot. But a cab roof is better when you need a ground plane. Also, the 18' of coax is true, as are the loops of cable slack. This is done for more reception (if in the right location), and to prevent interference from electro-magnetic currents.
I ran my coax through the speedo cable grommet. I was told by my local radio store that the best place for any cb antenna on a pickup is the driver side front fender mount. He said something about having a minimum of 18' of coax as well. The 48" fire stick antenna are cheap and seem to work well and flex just fine under most conditions. I was also told that the "extra" should be laid out in equal loops parallel to a metal surface(like the hood in my case) to maximize your "parralel plane". he could be blowing smoke. not sure.
Yep. This is a serious offense. Flogging is in order.

nopics
Tease! Don't let this happen again...
The part in blue is hogwash. Probably something he was told and now believes religiously.

Equal loops isn't so important, but gentle loops IS important. HUGELY important. You don't EVER want to kink or dent your coax. Not even a little bit. Treat that stuff like it's made of thin glass.

I would NOT use the speedo grommet. Too much chance of pinching or crushing that coax. It's just too tight with both the speedo cable and the coax trying to go through that hole.

I'd locate a safe place where I can see both sides of the firewall and drill my own hole, and put in my own grommet.
Ok this might be a little bubba but I ran it with my wire for the relay, in a conduit, through a rust hole in my floor:grd: it is on the driver side near the rocker. When I fix the floor hole for real, I'm gonna cut a hole in and run it where it is not, under the sill plate up to under the dash. My 18 foot coax is actually the PERFECT length, in fact it was almost too short the way I have it routed. Cb works excellently though - I have had conversations at probably 10 plus miles.

Will

bshupe

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would jump on it for a second to ask some similar questions and maybe to provoke the OP into posting photos as promised. :)

What is the consensus on a spring mount on the back of the bed and a 102" +/- whip? I have always heard that a 9' whip is the natural full wave for CB and anything else is just playing tricks to avoid a long whip. On our trucks I think it blends in fine to have the whip pulled forward and tied off to the brush guard. My drivers side fender is taken with my 5/8 wave HAM antenna which is far more important to me but I am putting in a Cobra 148 to talk with people who arent HAMs.

Top of the roof is out for me. Passenger fender with a short antenna such as a firestick, the top of the bedrail centered behind the cab, brush guard or back of the bed are my options. I have a Wilson 5000 on hand but the coil is awful ugly and I dont want to use it if I can avoid it. Performance trumps style and ugly though so I will use it if it will work best. My plan is to install a fender type "L" bracket off the bed rail to mount the Wilson if thats the direction I go.

Thanks for any input.

Danger Ranger

Firesticks work great. I have had 3 different fiberglass models, and all have been perfect. Mounted high.

You could use a hood mount, mount to brushguard, magnet on roof or box, or other mount on roof or box. It doesn't have to be 102", but you are correct in that being a natural freq. There is more than one though from what I understand.
SOme guys even use modded military antennas. I don't know much about that though, it would look great I think...