• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB Radio mount

deuceaid

Banned
I wish they made them more like ham radios with a remote head that does not take up much space ( the bulk of the radio can go under the seat or mount on a firewall etc). I agree with LowTech about getting stuff out of the way,,,, I figure the air switch is easy, just have to cut 1 slot and drill 2 holes to move it (and redo some airlines) ,,,3 if I move the light with it.....

Attachments

Blueduce

I have been thinking about this whole CB issue also. It's a great idea and I would prefer one to the $$$ of a military radio. I just have two questions. #1 How can you hear the dang thing inside the cab of your truck. Is there some kind of additional speaker you can add or something. #2 So that it looks more stock / original from the outside can you attach a military style whip antenna to a civilian CB radio.

TacticalDoc

I have been thinking about this whole CB issue also. It's a great idea and I would prefer one to the $$$ of a military radio. I just have two questions. #1 How can you hear the dang thing inside the cab of your truck. Is there some kind of additional speaker you can add or something. #2 So that it looks more stock / original from the outside can you attach a military style whip antenna to a civilian CB radio.
I was thinking of the same things

Also, what CB do you recommend?

bshupe

I would recommend either an external speaker mounted behind or to the side of your head at or about ear level in the cab or a pair of good headphones just like the military drivers used or like those used by pilots of small private planes etc. They have boom mics too with noise cancellation and all kinds of fun stuff.

On the antenna, you can hook about anything you want up to a CB and it will "work". How efficient it will be is another story. If all you want to do is talk to guys in a convoy rolling down the road you will be fine with about anything but CBs are limited to 5-7 watts (depending on model) so dont expect to get that far with it regardless of the antenna you are using. Another option would be to get a great CB antenna and try to conceal it and put on one of the big 9' mil-spec wips on a spring mount and dont hook your CB to it. Perhaps the best of both worlds?

Welder Sam

The military ab-15 antenna is said to work well with cb's. My thing is that i want clean uncluttered dash lines and unobstructed vision. My electric wipers block enough of the view. I plan to use a vic1 but havent figured out how to interface the cb audio output to the 1780. I want to be able to hear more than just the shrill scream of that dang turbo! The vic will happen before the cb because of my daughter.

59apache

Chipmaker
i have cb in my truck, too. it has a micro with internal speaker, it's ok. not good, but ok.
if you use an aviation intercom or rallye intercom you're able to connect the CB to the intercom.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
what about a computer stand for cars like the police have in their cars
Not sure what they are using, I try to stay out of those cars ;) . . . but I'm running a laptop stand in mine. You can see it in the pictures. Holds my computer for running the map program w/ GPS, I then back that up w/ loads of paper maps. I think GPS is great for telling me where we are . . . I sure DON'T count on it to tell me where to go! I've got friends for that :)

Blueduce

Thanks bshupe. With the head set / boom mike concept. For me I think a speaker mounted behind my head would be preferable to wearing a headset. Twelve years with a CVC on my head was more than enough for me. I think concealing a civilian antenna would be my beat bet. I am talking a trip up to Colorado and I'm sure I'll need more than 5-7 mile range. From what I hear there are boosters you can buy for your radio. They claim to give more range etc. What r your thoughts?

deuceaid

Banned
Weldersam , OPCOM made a interface for the VIC1 here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/military-radios-other-electronics/7433-properly-interfacing-vic-1-vic-4-cb-radio.html

Blueduce I would properly tune the antenna before putting a linear amplifier on it,,,, if its not properly turned the power does not get radiated out of the antenna and reflects back down the coax and fries the finals in the radio/amp. When I was taking the test for my Ham radio, I had to know the different power levels for different frequencies, and one of them was very low because of the effects of heating the human body (in particular the eyes)... this will cover it a little more RF Radiation and Electromagnetic Field Safety but resonate power can fry your eyes.... keep it in the antenna if you use and illegal amphttp://www.arrl.org/rf-radiation-and-electromagnetic-field-safety

A

A/C Cages

Islandguydon has installed one in his 109 too. his is under the dash and doenst get in the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks