• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB Radio mount

rolling18

I believe they are illegal on 27Mhz.
YEA,
Another alternative for a legal higher power CB (not ham bands) is look for "export" CB radios you can always boost any CB with a linear amp. (Connex is great brand)
(legality issues aside are you own risk)
how likley is a LEO going to track a high power cb signal to you!! lol

sniperboy

Really nice ideas for the cb radios. Being new to the 24vdc world - I'm wondering how do you get the 12vdc power for the radio. Cobra makes a nice radio that is ARMY green.

Blueduce

Sniperboy,

You can run a wire from the + terminal of battery A and run your neg off the CB to chaise ground. However, this is not a recommended permanent solution. Among other issues It will quickly kill batt A. There are as many options as there are MV owners on this site and they all have there gradation of complexity. I choose a simple $60 answer. I bought a module that preform several tricks. It has a 20A protected 24v side and a 12v 20A bank as well.
This allows me to pull 20a protected juice 12v from the unit instead of going directly to the batt's. This unit also equalizes the charge from the alt. Instead of batt B getting a great charge and batt A getting what's left. This unit more evenly charges the batts making them last longer.
There are several on the market. I got mine off eBay. As an extra precaution I also installed a master kill switch on the neg side of the batts. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Rolling18, Its not the LEOs you need to worry about. Its the FCC. They take this kind of stuff very serious and WILL track you down if you are runnign an illegal amp making alot of power.

Hooty481

I have been thinking about this for a while now as well. I am going to be installing one in my m915 first and I had the idea to put the cd player and CB in a amo can. that away you can put a lid on it when not in use.

rolling18

Rolling18, Its not the LEOs you need to worry about. Its the FCC. They take this kind of stuff very serious and WILL track you down if you are runnign an illegal amp making alot of power.
What would be "allot" i was only thinking under 100 watts in woodzy/ remote locations.. How much woild you need to get theit attention?

At least arround here theres a guy running a carrier that over powere everything for very long time flay out abusing it. Noone cares.

GHILL55

Here in Montana where CB is used extensively the locals get real upset when a Ham radio operator is on 12M (CB band/27mghz),it blows everybody out. If you want power and distance get a Ham license Technician class or even General class (HF bands).

All it takes is 2 guys with directional antennas with SWR meters and you're triangulated.

If it's woodsy and remote, go Ham!

CB with 100 watts? Not a good idea. My ham set is 100 watts and I've talked with Argentina. Stay legal and get a good antenna. In any circumstance a good antenna can make all the difference.

There is a running joke about about hams with dirty transmitters. It is called the "Worked All Neighbors" award. It generally comes with a piece of paper from the FCC. :(

Seriously, if you want to do long haul talking, get a ham license. Remember you don't need Morse code any more.

One of the ham past-times is known as the T hunt. Otherwise known as find the transmitter. In one case I know of, the transmitter was disguised in a baby carriage being pushed by a woman who was out for a stroll. :shock:

The caught her... Eventually. ( The baby was actually a doll. )

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks