• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CB radio

Cantos

Hi,
Who has a cb-radio in his cucv?
Where do you mount it and whitch one you choose?

I've got an Albrecht AE 6890 and it is mounted under the asher.

cucvrus

I mounted mine under the glove box and hung the mic from the dash mounted radio rack in the M1009. I just ran a short wire coax out to the right mirror. No drilling that way and kept it clean and out of the way.

Last edited:

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I mounted mine on top of the dash mounted radio rack in my M1009. I used an angle bracket screwed to the rack face plate than screwed it to the CB mount bracket. The CB actually rest on the dash with the mike hanging in the original radio rack slot. No mike bracket needed. Only problem is the CB speaker is on the bottom of my unit and muffles the sound. To solve that issue I plan to mount external speakers.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a mount attached to my M880 that held a radio in it's previous life. I may end up mounting a CB there. Hopefully the wiring is still good to the antenna base already in the roof.

lostintexas

I used industrial 4" wide velcro and mounted it just in front of the 4x4 shifter. This allows me to remove it and store is safely inside the hosue when needed.

SgtHaas

Here is my radio set up, 1. FT8800(vhf/uhf) dash with detachable faceplate. 2. FT2900 (vhf) on the left. And a CB on the right with a small ac inverter for the Hand held chargers both dual band (vhf/uhf) uploadfromtaptalk1443918511916.jpguploadfromtaptalk1443918540062.jpg

cpf240

Here is my radio set up, 1. FT8800(vhf/uhf) dash with detachable faceplate. 2. FT2900 (vhf) on the left. And a CB on the right with a small ac inverter for the Hand held chargers both dual band (vhf/uhf) View attachment 585747View attachment 585748
Where did you mount the rest of the FT-8800? I have them in two of our vehicles, and want to mount one in the M1009. Also, what did you do for the antenna feedlines? I'm thinking about a short jumper cable from the antenna through the top, with enough slack in the feedline so that I can remove the top and then run the feedline right to the antenna without having to pull the cables back through the top.

Thanks!

SgtHaas

Where did you mount the rest of the FT-8800? I have them in two of our vehicles, and want to mount one in the M1009. Also, what did you do for the antenna feedlines? uploadfromtaptalk1444217114384.jpguploadfromtaptalk1444217175593.jpg

I used standard nmo mount with rg59 cables already attached. Then ran them through the holes in the cab and attached PL259 connectors. I also have a 1/4 mag mount on the roof.

MarcusOReallyus

Also, what did you do for the antenna feedlines? I'm thinking about a short jumper cable from the antenna through the top, with enough slack in the feedline so that I can remove the top and then run the feedline right to the antenna without having to pull the cables back through the top.

I don't remember the details of the roof construction of the Blazer, but I do recall it's similar to the pickup, to a point. There is plenty of room near the back of the roof for a roof-mounted antenna, using either a 3/4" or 3/8" mount. (Use a depth stop for the 3/8", and a 3/4" antenna hole saw for that size.) Getting the coax from there down the sides to the back of the pickup cab is brain-dead easy, but not so much on the Blazer config. However, I know it can be done because I've done it a few times, but that was more than 25 years ago so I don't remember the details. I probably did a handful, compared to the hundreds of radios or cellphones I installed in pickups in those days. (Mid 80s)

Getting the coax where you want it is greatly helped by the right tools. I used (relatively) short lengths of electrician's fish tape to find and follow a path for coax or other wiring. Great for snaking down side pillars or under carpet. I had one length cut to about 9 feet, one about 6 feet, and a few shorter ones, down to about 18". I'd heat the end with a brazing torch, bend it around into an eye, then braze the eye, the file smooth. When I was done, I had a smooth eye with no edges to catch on anything (do it on both ends). That way, if I need to pull it back, it doesn't get hung up on a sheet metal edge somewhere and force me to cut it off and leave it there. BTDT.

Also useful for that is an old length of speedometer cable. It will droop its way down the side pillars. Sometimes that's better than the stiffer fish tape, sometimes it's not as good. It's another tool in the kit.

I used standard nmo mount with rg59 cables already attached. Then ran them through the holes in the cab and attached PL259 connectors. I also have a 1/4 mag mount on the roof.

Oooh, ouch. I hope you misstated that and you're not really using RG-59. That's 75 ohm cable, used for cable TV and satellite. For radios you should be using 50 ohm cable such as RG-58 or RG-142 or similar. If you are using RG-59, you have a bad impedance mismatch.

PL-259s aren't really a good choice at VHF & UHF, either. Below about 50 MHz they're okay, but above that... you really ought to be using N connectors or BNC or TNC.

:beer:

edpdx

Here's my radio set:

Fabbed a bracket for the CB to sit under the speaker. I replumbed the one on the left to use the original cable. It goes to the scanner between the driver seat and console. The aux speaker goes to the CB- it has edpdx radio.jpga built in AAMP. The mike was from a MIL set, it was replumbed to work with the CB since it has a cool clip that allows it to hang on the built-in Mic clip on the ARMY speaker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks