• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CBR Metalworks M920 hauler 'Mad Max'

Did you get your Alternator installed?
It is bolted on, VERY tight fit! I have not wired it up yet, and only have one belt installed, but it should be fine once it's all said and done. I used the original M920 alternator bracket and put spacers to make the Humvee alternator fit, but it would be best to make a new bracket (I intend to).

I am rewiring the whole truck as I see fit, so will be getting rid of all the unneeded garbage that comes on them and going bare bones (lights, jake brake, starter solenoid, etc)

Artisan

CBR would that ALT fit better if a guy reworked the engine bracket, perhaps raising the ALT
maybe 1/2" or so???

MK15 wrecker body spliced onto a 5-ton or M920 truck? Gear Ratios?

I really have no desire to own one of the HEMTT style trucks, they just don't appear very road worthy, and I am not a big fan of the V8 Detroits. I've thought it would be a very cool rig to take a MK15 Wrecker bed/body that would originally attach to the HEMTT, and modify it to bolt to the back of a 5-ton or M920 truck. In my opinion this would make a much more road worthy and reliable vehicle than the HEMTT. If I built this, I would sell my M936 wrecker.

Here is my pro/con list:

M936
con: NHC250 is a turd

MK15 mated to a M920 (my first choice, 2nd would be 8.3 cummins 5-ton)
pro: plenty of motor to pull anything

MK15
Pro: Lots of storage space up in front of the crane (M936 has literally no room to haul stuff, just tools/accessories)
Pro: more flexibility with the knuckle boom crane

MK15
Con: Gonna be a lot of work to make all this happen, I have an idea where a cheap M920 is, assuming the guy hasn't sold it.

MY BIGGEST ISSUE:

What is the rear axle ratio on a MK15? I have searched and can't find an answer. If they are not the same as a M920, then I guess the only option would be to swap the M920 axles onto the MK15 body.

Jeepsinker

I bet it would be easiest to just do a frame stretch on the 920 and then put some of the parts on it like the knuckle boom and some of the storage boxes and such. Or lift the whole wrecker bed off the frame it comes on and set it onto a stretched 920 frame.

Garret, I kind of disagree. If I can chop the 920 frame, weld on some beefy plates that match the MK15 frame, bolt them together, then all I gotta do is hook up wiring/air lines. I would want a separate hydraulic pump/engine to run the hydraulic stuff, I hate having to leave the engine running at ~1800 rpm's in the truck just to run a hydraulic pump.

My biggest concern then would be feeling 100% confident in the plates/bolts holding the two frames together. I would probably add an extra plate that would tie the two halves together on the outside of the frame rails just to be safe.

The main problem though is if the axles are geared the same between a MK15 or M920 (or M939). Would save a lot of hassle if I could avoid swapping axles.

M920

CBR,

The gear ratio in the Mk15's axles is 5.43 to 1. As far as I could investigate it, the axles in the LVS are made by Eaton specifically for Oshkosh and that is the only ratio available for them.
So using the M920 axles on the Oshkosh LVS suspension would be the way to go.....

Soni

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

So with the slightly higher gear ratio and the larger tires, coupled with the 400 cummins, that should be a pretty viable combination without a running gear swap right? Just need to figure out driveshaft adaptation.

Front and rear axles must be geared the same, or you run into big problem when you put the truck in 6x6.

Aren't 5-ton's geared 5.44? If they are I am thinking it might make more sense to adapt this to a 5-ton. I can't remember if they are 5.44 or 6.44 axles...

Jeepsinker

Yeah I forgot about the front axle. That does complicate things. You could just do away with the front wheel drive. I kinda doubt you'd really need it, but that is usually when you need it( when you don't think you do).

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The MK15 is MAINLY designed for the mk48 series trucks, it is VERY heavy, the rear lift unit is VERY much of a production to use, I think you would be a LOT better off putting the 936 bed on a m920 then doing the mk15 kit bash. At ATC, there was a private wrecker doing a pickup that used a m920 as the base with a nice older twin boom on top. The owner/builder said it was one of the best wreckers that he has ever driven.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks