• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDL Instruction Permit help for someone with no M923A2 truck in Nevada

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget the airbrake test. This is a separate test from the CDL test, and you have to pass both.

DO NOT DRIVE THE TEST VEHICLE TO THE TEST BY YOURSELF- You must take a licensed CDL driver with you.

I believe that all of the 900 series cargos fall under the 26,000 lb limit empty. You only need the CDL if you plan on loading it more than the 26,000lb limit. You DO NEED an airbrake endorsement to drive any 900 series vehicle.

The pretrip will be the hard part. You have to know all the subsystems of the vehicle, and their purpose. It goes something like this:

This is a headlight, this vehicle is equipped with two of them. THe headlight has two positions, high and low. The headlights are firmly mounted, clean, and appear to be aimed correctly. I will now enter the vehicle, and check for proper operation of the headlights(click the high beam switch). My headlights are now on bright, the Highbeam indcator is lit, and both highbeams are working. This is my left hand turn signal and parking lamp. It is clean, firmly mounted and appears to be working properly..... and so on and so forth.

I have to pretrip one tractor, and up to 4 dollies, and 8 trailers a night. I can just about do it in my sleep.

Triple C

Giggyman; There has been lots of great advice given and there is no question, a class A cdl will give you many more options than a class B, but; I wouldn't plan on passing a class A test after a few hours practice unless you are already pretty proficient. In my neck of the woods, when you take a class A test, in addition to a pre trip and a driving test, you are required to parallel park a tractor trailer combination. If you are already proficient in backing you are good but if not, it can take a bit to master. We also have some new regulations here that required I go to the DMV and get a waiver on my class A cdl regarding my medical since I am not professionally driving. Really good idea that you are being proactive in this though - good work and good luck.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to chime in here not as an expert but as another guy with some of the same questions. I am looking to purchase an m923 very soon and I was told this weekend buy another SS member that as long as I declare a GVWR of 26000#or less I will not need a CDL to operate it. That being said I realize that would give a fella a payload of someting like 1800#s so I do see the value in obtaining a cdl or NON-com class B so that you could haul more. Could someone more experienced fill me and Giggyman in on this? Also if this is true would the truck still need to be driven home by a cdl holder because the registration process (and GVW change) is not yet complete?
You can declare the GVW all you want to your DMV to save on registration fees....but first take a better look at the data plate in the cab (the one with the VIN on it)...there already is a listed GVW on it from the manufacturer, and that is what the HP/DOT inspectors will look at, NOT your declared weight.

AZ Mitch

Wow, great advice on this forum.
Giggyman, you need to look at your long term goals for this and you’re next MV. A straight truck (class B) with endorsements is a great license to have and can open job opportunities .If you go for a Class A, as mentioned earlier, plan on spending a few or more hours practicing your parallel parking skills. And when testing, use that same truck you practiced on. Good luck whatever route you choose. :popcorn:
AZ Mitch

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AZ Mitch brings up some good points. And reminded me that I forgot to mention a few things...for one, in Nevada, when taking the skills test for Non-Commercial Class A, you do NOT have to back your truck/trailer through the serpentine. Only CDL testing requires backing through the serpentine course. For Non-Comm Class A, all you have to do is drive straight through a lane-wide cone pattern, then back straight up through it. Next is the loading dock backing, but it's 45-degress vice 90-degrees and you have a LOT of room to back almost straight into it. And then I had to drive forward through serpentine on way to driving test in public.

Non-Comm Class B (straight truck) is even easier.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silverstate, wreckerman, EMD lots of great advice. Thank you all. Problem with these threads is every state is different on how the laws of operating "commercial" vehicles, or facsimiles thereof, are, first, legislated then interpreted. So its hard for all of us to comment on how you will be trained and evaluated to obtain your license.

Only thing I can't advise you on is what vehicle to test with. I will tell you, like mentioned prior, DON'T use a military truck. They confuse the inspectors. I was able to use a rented Ryder 33K flatbed w/ air brakes and 6spd to test for my CDL B. However, as stated by Silverstate, I guess NV doesn't allow that. But, if I can add to the the advice make sure you know your walk-around inspection and air brake tests. It seems like know matter where you test in this country the most failures come at the walk-around and brake tests. Also remember, during the inspection you must verbalize EVERYTHING you are doing. The skills test i.e backing, docking, parking is also a clincher. I learned most of what I know from a neighbor who drives for living. Also, watch the BRIDGE CLEARANCE signs, I got dinged for not reading one.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silverstate, wreckerman, EMD lots of great advice. Thank you all. Problem with these threads is every state is different on how the laws of operating "commercial" vehicles, or facsimiles thereof, are, first, legislated then interpreted. So its hard for all of us to comment on how you will be trained and evaluated to obtain your license.

Only thing I can't advise you on is what vehicle to test with. I will tell you, like mentioned prior, DON'T use a military truck. They confuse the inspectors. I was able to use a rented Ryder 33K flatbed w/ air brakes and 6spd to test for my CDL B. However, as stated by Silverstate, I guess NV doesn't allow that. But, if I can add to the the advice make sure you know your walk-around inspection and air brake tests. It seems like know matter where you test in this country the most failures come at the walk-around and brake tests. Also remember, during the inspection you must verbalize EVERYTHING you are doing. The skills test i.e backing, docking, parking is also a clincher. I learned most of what I know from a neighbor who drives for living. Also, watch the BRIDGE CLEARANCE signs, I got dinged for not reading one.
Great advice!

In Nevada, rented trucks for drive tests are a No-No, unless it's on behalf of a driving school...and military trucks are encouraged in NV, I took my Class A test wtih an M915, and our DMV folks are rather fascinated with FMVs. My tester was an older lady whose husband was a retired US Army officer, so she was warm & fuzzy with the thought of being able to ride in a former Army truck. In fact I've found most Nevada Motor Carrier employees to have some sort of former military experience or familiarization, so it doesn't seem to be a problem in this state.

If anyone in the Las Vegas area has a questionable title or any issues with older military vehicles, take it to the East Sahara DMV office; the employees there are VERY helpful with owners of FMVs and successfully process hundreds of them each year (literally, according to the head VIN inspector I spoke with there). I have referred several friends & MVPA members who own WW2-era FMVs that have errors on the titles (not uncommon for older vehicles), and they were able to get everything straightened out there at the East Sahara DMV. I've had very good experiences at the North Decatur office as well with all sorts of FMVs and trailers. The only office I've had issues at is the West Flamingo office, so I don't bother going there anymore. I have no experience with the Henderson office. The Motor Carrier office has been very patient and helpful for me every time I've gone there, and they all loved the M915.

Hope this helps for southern Nevadans.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can declare the GVW all you want to your DMV to save on registration fees....but first take a better look at the data plate in the cab (the one with the VIN on it)...there already is a listed GVW on it from the manufacturer, and that is what the HP/DOT inspectors will look at, NOT your declared weight.

Furthermore, I pointed out how well things will turn out for you (not you ss55) in the insurance sticky if you take your advice off the Internet in a forum and you try to fudge things like anything on the registration.

Last edited: