• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDR bypass.

wayne pick

After resealing the engine on my m1031, I decided to bypass the CDR valve as I figured it was the cause of a few oil leaks. I replaced the rear main seal, timing cover, and oil pan gaskets. On the Banks turbo setup, the CDR plumbing is routed back into the air filter box, and created a real mess.

The engine seems to run better with the CDR disconnected. The turbo spools up quicker, and the engine runs smooth with less noise. Any pro, or cons on doing this? I used the existing plumbing to vent the vapors into a gallon oil bottle to avoid making an oil mess on the ground. Any input would be great. Happy new year guys!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google cdr, and read why they are used.

I Have posted the info before. You need it.

topgun217

CDR Valves "suck" but you do need it/one on your truck. Easy fix is to buy a new one from an auto parts store. Just look at it first before leaving the store to make sure you have the same type. I had to have mine ordered took two days, first one was not the same type.
(just my 2 cents) "Always Trust the DOG"

Nuke113

Is there any particular reason why the hole in the intake cannot be plugged and a standard breather hose attached for the vapors? From what I've read, and please correct if wrong, is that the CDR valve prevents the intake from drawing too high a vacuum on the crankcase so following this is there a reason one cannot just vent the crankcase vapors directly to the atmosphere instead of sucking them into the intake? If this is way off base please inform why this is my first hands on with a diesel but with gas engines we would always just vent it directly.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

The CDR valve regulates the amount of pressure or blowby from the crankcase back to the intake. The purpose of the CDR valve is to maintain 0" to -4" inches of vacuum in the crankcase at all engine speeds. This is a maintenance item and should be replaced or cleaned every 30K miles as recommended. 6.2/6.5 diesels need to run a slight vacuum in the crankcase and this valve regulates that. When this valve fails, the engine seals no longer have a steady low vacuum against them, and often the rear main seal will start to leak. Likewise excessive external engine oil leaks due to pressurizing the crankcase.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I must ask, did you search before posting?

Nuke113

Yes read the first few pages of search results and the diesel place postings though the one you posted just now eluded me though it still didn't quite answer the question. I didn't realize that the engines were designed to have a slight vacuum in them and that was my question whether it was a design point or simply emissions.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's good to question, that is how you learn!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks