• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CDR valve

Kid Kodiak

I have been searching dealerships and all the major parts stores for the CDR valve using the part #s listed in the FAQ thread. Nobody has it.

What I did find is a PCV valve just about anywhere that looks like it may work with a little tweaking. It is for a 93+ 6.5L GM.

Part number: PCV445 = BWD, CRB 29445 = NAPA.

I hope this helps.

Does anyone know if this is a good alternative to the CDR valve for our 6.2s?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will not find the valve at any dealership or parts house. They have been discontinued for a while.

There is a SS member that is selling them on eBay.

Just remember that posting eBay links is not allowed unless it is your own and is NOT the main subject of the post.

You can find the CDR valves on ebay, and other websites. But you will never find any of the hoses that go from the CDR valve to the intake. Better hope those aren't cracked or broken. Mine are currently sealed with electrical tape :whistle:

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kid Kodiak: Welcome to SS!

I would like to replace my CDR hose. Mine is a bit cracked but not too bad. I'd rather replace it before I have to tape it together. Any recommendations on what type & diameter hose I can use as a replacement? The local parts stores sell hose by the foot - just wondering if anyone has used off the shelf hose successfully.

Kid Kodiak

Ah yes, E-bay. I somehow always forget about that site. I did look and did find a couple. Thanks. Has anyone used one for the 6.5s? Just wondering how well they work.

I also found the CDR valves at Peninsular Engines in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They are by far my first choice with anything relating to the 6.2L engine.

Part # 6500421 for $39.92.

They rebuilt my injector pump for only $500 bucks, showed me the step by step process of changing it out on a GEP block on a stand and didn't even charge me a core fee - just trusted me and went on the honor system.

lavarok

I dont understand what your asking about when you say "used one for the 6.5s".

If you mean use a 6.2L cdr in your 6.5L, then I'd ask why bother when you can buy the right 6.5L cdr valve easily from rockauto or other part distributors.

If you want a 6.5L cdr for a HMWWV with port for the fording kit, they might be harder to find but I have one sitting in a box somewhere and its a specific part for the application.

As for your parts source vs. Ebay, I can tell you that the cdrs sold by wolfer-parts are NEW manufacturer, not NOS. They are also less expensive than the price you quoted.

Kid Kodiak

@Lava - I guess you could just infer that since CUCVs have a 6.2L and I mentioned that I can't find the CDR valve using the part #s given on this site (also specifically for the 6.2L) that my question "Has anyone used one for the 6.5?" was asking "Has anyone used a PCV/CDR valve for the 6.5L on their 6.2L?"

Since most people on this forum are not experts - even though many think they are- ... since there is plenty of conflicting information, and contradictory statements... I thought it'd be appropriate and helpful to others to know if it is necessary to modify the tubing or anything else that gets connected to and from the CDR/PCV valve in order to make the 6.5L PCV fit ona 6.2L.

Compression may have been altered from the 6.2L NA to the 6.5L NA or 6.5L turbo.

For me and E-bay ... once bitten twice shy. $22.00 plus shipping for a used part is not a better value than $39.00 for a legit part from an incredible company who has been converting the 6.2 and 6.5 to marine use, and repowering RVs since 1982 or 1984. Also the information and knowledge they give me is worth far more than the price difference. So I guess I'm happy paying their price knowing that they are $14 cheaper than Advance Auto Parts, $10 cheaper than NAPA, $4 cheaper than O'Reilly, and they know every tiny detail about my motor, with all other parts on hand in stock.

My point is that I know these guys at Peninsular from driving my 1009 to their shop and asking a million questions.

I've called them for advice numerous times when I was truck shopping. They always tell me the warning signs, and prices of the repairs, etc.

For most people E-bay works just fine. But for people like me who want to have a very reputable resource at their disposal, buying from E-bay isn't a value.

I'm not trying to argue or anything. I appreciate your input for sure. I'm just trying to contribute something worthwhile for those on this site who are like me - not a professional mechanic, who have some ability to do some repairs on their own CUCV, and just want to know about additional resources for the vehicle they love.

lavarok

KK - you started this thread on 8/15 asking where to find CDR valves, then reply on 8/16 you found them with a company you've been doing business with and talking to for a while. I smell bullpoop.

Clearly you KNEW where to get them....and...that being the case, why did you start this thread unless you were looking for a way to advertise for said diesel shop.

You asked, we answered, then you say your choice is better. Seriously..wtf!$!@!@

The CDRs sold by wolfer are direct replacements made NEW production. At $22 for his CDR valves, I dont think you can get a better deal anywhere.

Spend your money how you want and where you want, but dont come here to play games.

As for using a 6.5l cdr valve on your 6.2l, do a search as I'm done with this thread.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The CDRs are all the same. What is different is the tubing on the housing.

The CUCV tubing for the CDR is different than the 6.2L non-military engine.

You may be able to "bend" the tubing of the 6.5L unit to make it work, but it will not be an exact fit.

Wolfer has made arrangements to have new units made that are an exact fit.

Why don't you buy a 6.5L unit and see if you can make it work and report you results.

Kid Kodiak

@ lava I think you need to do a little bit more thinking before you make BS assumptions. I said Peninsular Engines is in Grand Rapids, Michigan. If you open your eyes, you may read that my location is in LANSING, Michigan. One could also deduce that driving 45+ minutes isn't worth saving $10 or $15 dollars if I can locate the same part at NAPA, Advance Auto, or O'Reilly in Lansing.

In addition, I knew "said diesel shop" carries turbos, injectors, heads, blocks, engines, and other big ticket items. I did not know that they had any CDRs until the next day when I was doing more searching online.

So don't accuse me of playing games. Why are you plugging Wolfer's company, and not Greenie9's company? Wolfer only has 354 sales listed on E-bay, and doesn't include shipping. Greenie9 has 4,209 sales and offers free standard shipping. Maybe you should just stop playing games yourself.

I do not appreciate your nonsense. I never said my choice is better. You're acting like a woman by drawing conclusions that aren't there. I said that for the price difference, I would rather buy from a person I do know instead of some mystery person on e-bay. Yes I said Peninsular is my first choice, but for a small item that should be readily available at any parts store, it isn't always practical to make such a long drive for such a small part.

I just bought the CDR for the 6.5 from a Advance Auto today in Lansing, Michigan. I paid $4 more than at Peninsular, saving time and fuel costs. Does that help you sleep better, Lava?

@Warthog - Thank you for being so great on this site. I've read a lot of your posts, and you provide invaluable information. There are way too many on here that just want to talk trash and not really share information.

As per your suggestion, I will most certainly report my results with the CDR I purchased.

I do have one questions though. Can the CDR valves just be cleaned and reused? or is there an actual filter element inside that gets gunked up, causing the need for complete replacement?

Kid Kodiak

Thanks for the link, combatmech. It looks like cleaning them has its pros and cons too.

shopacdelco.com only has "coming soon" on the page. I'll take a look on amazon.

Kid Kodiak

I think since my 1009 was in Ft. Sill and all the rubber needs to be replaced, I'll choose not to clean it.

I also don't expect the PCV valve that I bought for a 6.5L to work. There's only one way to find out. So I'll post on my results tonight.

Last edited:

Kid Kodiak

Ok, well I have determined that I could make the PCV valve that goes to the 6.5L work on my 6.2L. However, I don't think it's worth the effort. I never really paid attention to how they have the CDR valve and hoses set up on it. I knew the angle of the tubes coming out from the CDRs were different, but I didn't realize the hose was preformed. So I will return the PCV valve I bought at Advance Auto and buy one from E-bay. So much for wishful thinking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks