• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Central Florida & Medium Tow Bar

Michael_Golden

My son and I are recovering three M35A2's from Huntsville next week and I'd sure like to have a medium tow bar with us in case one of them breaks down on the way back to Lithia, Florida. Does anyone in the area have one we could rent for a few days?

Green_gator

Michael,
Do not have a tow bar but have plenty of the other equipment used on the deuce and could loan it out. Send me a PM and we can chat about the recovery if you want. I have done four 1,000+ mile recoveries on deuces in the last two years.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm quite a bit off the beaten path but I have one here if you feel like coming to fetch it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mornings early. It's not me you have to worry about though, it's the wife! She is armed all the time and is dying to use her newest M-4.

Michael_Golden

We're heading up Monday morning.
The wife and I drove to Huntsville on Monday in a Hertz rental SUV along with #3 son and two of his buddies. Tuesday morning we arrived at the Redstone Arsenal just as a man and woman in an A3 with a trailer were getting ready to pull out. Judging from the California Historical Vehicle license plate bolted on the front, they appeared to have a long drive ahead of them.

It was 4:30 pm by the time we were on the road headed South.

All 3 had to be jump started. One didn't have brakes. My son bled the air tanks to no effect, then drained water out of the air booster - presto! Brakes started working.

The two trailers we were picking up were 10 miles down the road at a National Guard armory. One duce ran out of diesel right after we got out of the Arsenal gates and stalled in the center lane of Hwy 231. A Alabama Highway Patrol man came along and helped with traffic while we pushed the vehicle off the road and into a nearby gas station. After filling the duce with diesel, it wouldn't crank, so I had my son go on with the two working A2's and the GL guy to get the trailers while we stayed behind to see if we could get the truck running.

We got the truck running by removing the two fuel filters and manually filling them with diesel. We then reinstalling them and sprayed starting fluid in the air breather for about a minuite while cranking.

About midnight EST we stopped in Dothan for the night and got the duces home around 6 pm Wednesday evening - 677 miles total. That was one long, hot drive! :wink:

Michael_Golden

Made it alive, huh!? We want pictures!
Well, I've never tried uploading pics to this forum, but here goes.

The first three pictures are of the duces as they came rolling into my yard yesterday evening. The fourth pic is of my back yard that now has 5 duces parked in it! 5th pic is of one of the duces that brought a trailer down, and the last pic is of my son standing next to it. That particular trailer has a hard top and storage boxes on each wall inside.

Attachments

Michael_Golden

Awesome! But JESUS, 5 Deuces? Got room for one more? Haha, props!
Well, my son thinks he'll be able to sell them for enough to recoup his expenses.

The first one he bought has a wench, and he wants to keep that one. The second he drove down from a base in Georgia and will have a title for in a few days, so it will be the first one for sale.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks