• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Central Oregon 5 ton club? or MV club? Registration alternative

carbonraptor

So if you are the proud owner of any 939 series truck in oregon you undoubtedly know of oregons strict laws about the registration and licenses required for driving these trucks. Oregon typically requires a CDL for these rigs because of their air brakes and GVWR in excess of 26k lbs. For example my m925 has a GVWR of 33,275. But there is a way to drive you vehicle and register it for a whole lot less than commercial registrations costs. Assuming your vehicle is over 30 years old. Register the vehicle as what is known as a special interest vehicle. There is a fee of 81 bucks I think that needs to be submitted only ONCE! in a lifetime. Not every 3 months like a typical registration based on the vehicles weight that oregon loves to charge you for. The trick is that you can only use your vehicle for things like parades, exhibitions, clubs and other similar uses. as stated in:

ORS 805.210
ORS 805.020
ORS 805.030

So, register it as a special interest vehicle, join a local club or online club in oregon and your set LOL. Keep a card or proof of the membership with you and say your going out to meet with your club if you get pulled over. That way your covered. This should save you hundreds over the cost of just one year! I dont believe people with MV's should have to fork out 700+ dollars a year just to be able to drive your pride and joy around every once in a while. I believe thats designed for the 100,000 lb payload of commercial semi's thats being driven around daily on oregons highways.

My main question that I wanted to ask here before I informed you all about this is: Is there any local clubs here in central oregon or close by? I know a few guys here now but not sure of a official club or one here in oregon. Well I hope this was informative and helps you to get registered without breaking the bank! the CDL part tho u just gotta do on your own lol :grin:

carbonraptor

Well the problem with registering it as a RV/camper in Oregon is that is has to have permanent sleeping and cooking quarters. Look here:

The Oregon Department Of Motor Vehicles defines recreational vehicles RVs and motor homes as any vehicle designed, reconstructed, or permanently altered as a facility for habitation, meaning permanent sleeping and cooking features. This includes permanently mounted campers on pickup trucks and frames.

Having said that I have yet another idea. How about I just go down to the surplus store and install a fold able cot in the back of the 5 ton and a small bbq. By their definition there I can legally register the 5 ton as a RV and meet their requirements and I believe it does NOT require a CDL to drive it. Im going to look into this and if it works I will searously consider registering them as RV's instead

battlecr

Go to http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=58 and join the Military Collectors Club of Oregon. Contact Steve Greenburg. The Club meets at Camp Withycombe once per month. I don't know of any MV Clubs just for Central Oregon.
There is also the OCCMVG Oregon Central Coast Miltary Vehicle Group http://g503.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=133 with members in Florence and the in the valley Eugene area. Small group but have lots of fun. We'll be up at the convention this year. Contact Mike Powter. We meet at members houses once a month.

There is also a southern oregon group.

Don G.

buggyman

Hi Guys
I’m Paul Kingsbury and live in Bend, Oregon.I’m up for a Central Oregon MV Club.
I have a 923A2, it is a GREAT truck.

Paul
The buggyman

carbonraptor

Hi Guys
I’m Paul Kingsbury and live in Bend, Oregon.I’m up for a Central Oregon MV Club.
I have a 923A2, it is a GREAT truck.

Paul
The buggyman
hi paul,

Im ryan, i was just there in bend but had to move back to the valley due to work, listen i just wanted to give you and the other guys there in central oregon a heads up if you have a canvas on the back of your 5 tons or deuce and a half's it would be a good idea to take them off, mine was stolen right off the back of my truck and it looks like the canvas off the 5 ton that was at that dealership on the main strip in town had its stolen as well. just fair warning i dont want the same thing that happened to me to happen to the rest of you guys. Btw a club sounds awesome :) ill probably be back in 2-3 years so if you all start one up ill definetly join :) take care

Ryan

tagoins888

Hey guys, I'm in Salem and have an '81 923A1. In regards to registration in Oregon, if it's over 25 years old you qualify for the Special Interest plate. Carbonraptor is correct, the registration fee is $81 and it is permanent registration meaning one time only, for as long as you own the truck. Yes, you are "limited" to occasional use (supposedly) but are any of us using these as daily drivers? OK, I probably would drive mine to work, but it won't fit in the parking garage! A quarterly T plate in Oregon will run you just shy of $800 a year. Registering it as an RV is a little better but it is still over $300 as they charge by the foot based on the length of the truck. And, you still have to renew every two years.

Join a club (even though it's not local you could still join MVCCO, it's only $10 a year). They will get you some business cards you can keep in the truck to show you are a member. The club website is: http://www.mvcco.net.

Good luck,
Tom

goodguyzy

If I remember correctly there used to be a COMVCC but dissolved due to its members passing away. (We are having the same problem with SOMVCC) It doesn't take much to start it up again and I would be happy to join.