• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

centrifuge versus sock filtering.

davidb56

Your experience with cleaning waste oil using a motor driven centrifuge or a series of sock/basket filtering down to 1 micron filters. I dont want to include lube pump driven centrifuges because of they are only in the bowl a few seconds, compared to a motor driven centrifuge that has 3-4 minutes separation time in the bowl. Im trying to figure out cost effectiveness over time. Sock/basket filter housings are 500$ each and I would need at least 2, along with a Imhoff style heated settling tank at another 2500$. A good high speed belt driven centrifuge is 2500$, and should have a heated tank to draw from, or at least a inline heated element, which is harder to control a constant temp.

davidb56

Simplecentrifuge.com

Best bang for buck, and has saved me thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
interesting site. I was really getting into his distilling tower, then he stopped when he was building the one with packing. He didn't say why the #3 test was unsuccessful. He also had to centrifuge the guy's homemade diesel for quite some time, (2 gallons over a hour, i think it was) so Im guessing a faster bowl speed would cut that in half.

davidb56

I have tried both, But for me the best and most cost effective way (Cheapest by far) Is the sock filters, I go from one CBC container at height though a water trap filter (Golden rod), then a cartridge changeable sock filter (One down to 1 micron) To a ground level CBC And That has worked fine for over 20 years.
I have been thinking about the sock filters because of the cost, and also converting a electric water heater to help remove water and settle some debris, instead of a Imhoff settling tank. My problem is that Id like to get below 1 micron, that a high speed centrifuge is capable of doing with the correct feed rate. The reason is because of ash/carbon buildup when under combustion in the engine. Maybe there won't be...I don't know yet. Have you pulled a injector ever for inspection?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
interesting site. I was really getting into his distilling tower, then he stopped when he was building the one with packing. He didn't say why the #3 test was unsuccessful. He also had to centrifuge the guy's homemade diesel for quite some time, (2 gallons over a hour, i think it was) so Im guessing a faster bowl speed would cut that in half.
Call him, he’s a little brash, but if you want advise, he will help however he can.

Here’s my old thread

davidb56

Call him, he’s a little brash, but if you want advise, he will help however he can.

Here’s my old thread

I probably will. Im still looking at all his stuff and experiments he's done. I also got to finish a few months worth of maintenance and repairs on my tractors and Deuce (transmission) here first before starting another project.

87cr250r

Centrifuges can do sub-micron removal as well as water separation. Time in the bowl isn't so important as multiple passes should get the job done. Viscosity control is paramount. Too much viscosity prevents separation so heaters are mandatory for lube oils. Diesel fuel does not require a heater.

Alfa Laval has a new unit that doesn't require water to seal.

It's about $14k for the unit and $20k with a heater. Not very practical, eh?

Keep an eye out for Alfa Laval MAB 103 separators. They're a bit bigger but ubiquitous and there should be some surplus/used inventory. They need water plumbed to them but a gravity tank with a few gallons should be sufficient. You'll probably need a phase converter for power as well. There is strong aftermarket support so they're very inexpensive to operate and repairs.

Mr4btTahoe

I actually just did a video on this... 1 mic sock filter back to back comparison to my direct drive centrifuge...

Sock filters can work well on a tight budget... but they can't remove water. You can get sub micron bag/sock filters... but they are spendy. Long term, a centrifuge will save you money.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks