• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chains, Cables and NDTs

Opie

While this may sound like a weekend fantasy to some of you, I'm simply thinking ahead to winter. I hear the NDTs don't fare well in light snow/ice, which is what I mostly expect here. I'm still dual wheeled in the rear, wearing 9 x 20" NDTs all around, and am unlikely to venture off-road with the white stuff on the ground.

The question I have is cables vs. chains, and single or dual tires in the rear? I've pulled the stub axle (without thinking of how I'll EVER re-install it) in the rear.

Thanks for your input. Now I just need to install the heater kit...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that's some avatar! May have to work on mine.
About the questions, could you be more specific? I live in your general area and have experience with the snow, driving in it, that is.

1968 M49A2C modified. 1972 HIAB 765A crane and 1960 M756 pipeline truck bed.
11.00-20 NDCC singles.
M103A3 trailer.

"Some things cannot be made better, just differently"

CURRENTLY WORKING ON: Vehicle wiring, adding relays for headlights and turn signals.
Adding small fuel tank (starting and shutting down in cold weather) and installing heating coil in main tank for biodiesel/cooking oil.

n3uka

So I am not the only one thinking about snow. Also wondering where a good place to get the chains or cables? What is good snow to drive and when should I stay parked.

Opie

Well, on this page ( http://www.tirechain.com/9.00-20.htm ) the tire cables are less expensive and most likely weigh less than comparable cables. The new MILSPEC items I've seen are yet more expensive.

As I don't have the square-edged profile of standard over-the-road tires, and won't be going offroad in the winter, what would be adequate for me for the two to four inches of snow I can expect at anyone time here?

I guess my question really is whether cables will work on NDTs?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Full blown chains are a PITA on pavement. Speed 5 mph or below the vibrations are so bad. Don't have any experience with the cable type, may be a lot better in light snow on the roads...

Bjorn

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks