• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chances i broke my sprag

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Early this morning before work i was asked to pull a tractor out of a ditch. So i grabed the M52 and headed over there. After realizing i forgot my chain i stopped at the end of my road and started to turn around. I turned hard right where there is a small hill. After climbing it enough to back up and turn around i ended rolling back about 4 of 5 feet while still in 1st gear. I felt the truck bind and then pop then roll back freely. I was unloaded and in the dirt. What's the chances i busted the sprag? The truck ran normally after that and pulled the tractor out with ease. I was then running late so i havent checked anything out. It's been bugging me all day. If so has anyone bought these parts? How much? Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Not much chance, the first time my old m52 did that, I thought I was going to see a MAJOR truck part on the ground and a trail on the road to it.

This is why the -10 states DO NOT ALLOW TO ROLL IN A DIRECTION THE TRANSFER CASE IS NOT SHIFTED TO..the UNLOADING really gets your attention

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

you seem to be very experienced to do that trick..but then it does state (the tm) Never to roll back in forwards gear. or forward in reverse come to it.
( guess it's once bitten twice shy )But, to check first jack up the front end and rotate a wheel backwards in forward gear, then forward in reverse. IF the sprag "grabs" just maybe the sprag jumped over. and your ok. good luck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This EVENT is the MAJOR reason for the implication of the sprag cut off mwo for the MV hobbyist, this puts the sprag in nutral

Last edited:

m816

Sounds like it just wound up some and it lets go when you change direction. Do it enough time and you will have pieces on the ground. That being said, it is probably okay. next time practice going the same distance in the same gear. ex. if you back up in low range for ten feet. make sure you go ten feet in low range forward and don't let it roll while in gear.

03silverado

Your probably ok those sprags i belive have clutches built into them for the purpose of some roll back im sure, I know they are old trucks but you have to realize that they were built with the idea in mind that some 18 year old kid right out of high school is going to be driving this thing and possibly getting shot at at the same time so i would think its harder to break them then belived but that just my thought

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the resonces guys. I never let the truck roll back when in a forward gear. It was a operator error. I was pretty tired from working offshore with not much sleep the night before. Then in a hurry to get it done before i went to work. But to better news. When i got home last night i jacked up the drivers side front tire and chaged the air system with my air compressor off of the front glad hand. Tried the roll the tire in 1st and reverse. The sprag worked normally WHEW!! I took the truck for a little drive and it seems fine. I drove it through the mud on a near by pipeline rightaway. I could tell the front alxe was getting power from the mud that was flying. Man these trucks are fun. Thanks again.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
5 ton sprags are much more durable than their 2.5 ton counterparts. While they tend to stand up to these events, so long as it doesn't become habit, there shouldn't be any damage.

indy4x4fab

Banned
Have you thought about putting a air cut off switch in line before the trans to cut the air off the trans so the front drive shaft goes into neutral?

Here's where I mounted mine, and I just disconnected the air line from the trans added five feet of air hose to to it with a union, ran it to the switch then out of the switch anther five feet of hose (all hose was d.o.t. approved) and hooked it back to the rubber hose going in to the trans. This way if I want to put it back to stock all i have to do is remove what I added. I added a light to the left that comes on when it has air to the trans so I would know its on.

This will just give u a little extra safety net, in case the truck roles back on you again.

Attachments

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did this in my XM818 once, I also figured when I climbed out there would be pieces of truck all over underneath. Not so, it scared me but didn't seem to do any damage. I need to re-rebuild the air shifter on mine again anyway, I suppose I will go ahead and add the cut out switch. Easy and pretty cheap insurance. Of course so is simply remembering not to free roll in the direction opposite that you have the transmission shifted into...

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too have thought of the air cut out. I've even purchased the parts. But was planning on installing it when i install the new dash. The previous owner a, Fire Dept butchered the dash installing switches, lights and radios. I even got a new dash. Looks like it's getting moved to the front burner.