• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change in mississippi tag process 7-1-2021

Michael

I recently mailed in my tag renewal for my 3/4 ton pickup. I have been running a B20 tag which is an appropriated tag for 20000 pounds. This truck is used to transport my green addiction from place to place. In the past the state has stated you had to buy a tag big enough to cover your total gross weight, they didn't care if it was personal or commercial. I got a call that due to a change in federal law that they could no longer sell me a B20 unless I provided proof I was commercial much like they did the farm tags in the past (they want to see your schedule F from your taxes to get a F20). They want me to turn in my B20 and get a B10. Anyone have any insight on what is going on?

One thing that has me thinking is that they won't sell you a B10 for anything bigger than a pickup. What happens if I buy another duce or one of the new trucks being released. Mississippi won't process the title into your name unless you tag it. Does this mean individuals can no longer own trucks?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It shouldn't apply to B20 tags.

The federal government changed the Heavy haul tax stamp for over 44,000lbs. You could be an individual and get a heavy haul stamp and be exempt for the tax based on mileage. You used to use your SSN to do this. The IRS no longer accepts SSN for that form and only employer identification numbers meaning a regular person can't tag over 44k.

I wrote a Tennessee amendment that will be introduced next legislative session for this issue cause it means anyone with an FMTV or bigger can't tag their truck with the appropriate J weight tag here and could be subject to a ticket. The highway patrol here has been made aware of it since they can ticket you for having the incorrect weight/truck gcwr tag but if the law doesn't allow you to get the appropriate tag then how can you be ticketed for it, etc.

I would ask them if this refers to the Heavy haul tax.

Michael

It shouldn't apply to B20 tags.

The federal government changed the Heavy haul tax stamp for over 44,000lbs. You could be an individual and get a heavy haul stamp and be exempt for the tax based on mileage. You used to use your SSN to do this. The IRS no longer accepts SSN for that form and only employer identification numbers meaning a regular person can't tag over 44k.

I would ask them if this refers to the Heavy haul tax.
I don't trust them to know what it is based on. They pretty much said they don't know why they are just doing what Jackson told them to do. The people making these decisions probably drive a prius.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I don't trust them to know what it is based on. They pretty much said they don't know why they are just doing what Jackson told them to do. The people making these decisions probably drive a prius.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I left a message for a guy I know on their legal department at the department of revenue. I'll see what he can find out.

Csm Davis

It might be that they got sued, not sure, but I have said for years that under Mississippi law it is illegal for them to not issue regular POV tags to 3/4 and up pickup trucks not owned by farmers or businesses, ie F tags and B tags. The local tag offices in Mississippi are run buy untrained folkes that generally have no clue what to do if presented with a non car vehicle. They call Jackson and generally get another untrained or minimally trained person to to advise them. The whole thing is a joke.

Michael

It might be that they got sued, not sure, but I have said for years that under Mississippi law it is illegal for them to not issue regular POV tags to 3/4 and up pickup trucks not owned by farmers or businesses, ie F tags and B tags. The local tag offices in Mississippi are run buy untrained folkes that generally have no clue what to do if presented with a non car vehicle. They call Jackson and generally get another untrained or minimally trained person to to advise them. The whole thing is a joke.
I have always thought the same thing. At first I was happy because it was going to save me some money. The only problems I see is they say I can't have a B20, that I must surrender the one I have, and they plan to sell me a B10 not a POV tag. And I just bought a new trailer to move my collection 30 miles south.

Michael

I left a message for a guy I know on their legal department at the department of revenue. I'll see what he can find out.
Did you ever hear back from your guy. I haven't heard back from my representative that helped me with my antique tag.

Csm Davis

I have always thought the same thing. At first I was happy because it was going to save me some money. The only problems I see is they say I can't have a B20, that I must surrender the one I have, and they plan to sell me a B10 not a POV tag. And I just bought a new trailer to move my collection 30 miles south.
Think I would make them put it in writing and CC my lawyer a copy while they are at it. And ask for a copy of the change in law that gives them the right to do so. Bet you a Mugshots burger they won't follow through.

Michael

After a couple of hours poking around the internet I think I have found the problem. It is all about tax collections. Apparently a B16 or bigger is a lot cheaper to buy than a POV tag for new pickup trucks. Here is the most informative link I have found so far. I find it irritating that I was practically forced to buy the B tags for my trucks. https://www.panolian.com/2021/06/16/crackdown-coming-on-farm-tags/

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
After a couple of hours poking around the internet I think I have found the problem. It is all about tax collections. Apparently a B16 or bigger is a lot cheaper to buy than a POV tag for new pickup trucks. Here is the most informative link I have found so far. I find it irritating that I was practically forced to buy the B tags for my trucks. https://www.panolian.com/2021/06/16/crackdown-coming-on-farm-tags/
Odd how that works.
I find more often than not that whenever there is aggravation or trouble - and there is money involved - the government is involved in there somewhere too.

A lot like this WooFlu mess that just keeps coming back for more...

Michael

Just got back from turning in my B20 and getting a B10. Here is the after action report. The girl behind the counter repeated several times that a new law was passed and they are just doing what they are told. She confirmed that this is all about People running B16s on new pickups and not paying their far share of local taxes. All I would have to have done to renew my B20 would have been to sign an affidavit that it was used commercially and they would forward a copy to the IRS. When I asked about what would happen if I bought another army truck how would I get the title transfered into my name (since you have to buy a tag in Mississippi to tranfer title) or any other question that was a varaiation on did this mean individuals could no longer own big trucks she would respond that they would have to call Jackson. Appearently I am the only one in Itawamba county that collects and tags army trucks.

I feel like I am better off with a B10 on my pickup. I saved a $100 and I won't have to explain why I don't have a DOT number. Assuming I can convince any LEO I cross paths with that my 24000 gross rated combination is for purely personal use.

She seemed to be under the impression that you had to do something for hire as a daily job to be commercial and not the prove you never recieved anything of value that some LEOs use on the side of the road.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Just got back from turning in my B20 and getting a B10. Here is the after action report. The girl behind the counter repeated several times that a new law was passed and they are just doing what they are told. She confirmed that this is all about People running B16s on new pickups and not paying their far share of local taxes. All I would have to have done to renew my B20 would have been to sign an affidavit that it was used commercially and they would forward a copy to the IRS. When I asked about what would happen if I bought another army truck how would I get the title transfered into my name (since you have to buy a tag in Mississippi to tranfer title) or any other question that was a varaiation on did this mean individuals could no longer own big trucks she would respond that they would have to call Jackson. Appearently I am the only one in Itawamba county that collects and tags army trucks.

I feel like I am better off with a B10 on my pickup. I saved a $100 and I won't have to explain why I don't have a DOT number. Assuming I can convince any LEO I cross paths with that my 24000 gross rated combination is for purely personal use.

She seemed to be under the impression that you had to do something for hire as a daily job to be commercial and not the prove you never recieved anything of value that some LEOs use on the side of the road.
I believe according to the law and the article that you posted above that you should not have a B tag at all and they should have issued a standard tag like they do for 1/2 ton trucks. Nothing you have is owned or operated for a business then you should not need a weighted tag, the state of Mississippi does not have any weight limits on non commercial vehicles. So whether it is a mini-truck or a 5 ton tractor it should have a standard POV tag. This also goes for why you should be able to tag all your military vehicles with antique plates if they are old enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks