• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change my oil and this came out the drain plug.

Pulled the pan today and it was clean and so was the pickup screens. Everything came out when I drained the oil. Just the big pieces in the pictures. All the oil jets are there. No sign of anything beating against the crank or block. Liners all look good. Pressure relief spring is still in the oil pump. I can't see how the oil pressure regulator springs or the oil filer and cooler bypass springs could get into the crankcase. But I will pull them all next week to be sure. I guess if I find nothing there I will pull the valve covers. May make it to the rally after all.

DieselBob

There is always the chance that it was a “spare” or leftover from a previous repair of some type but the inspection you are doing hopfully will tell the tale.

Diecorpse

Glad to see everything good so far. You better have some pics or video from your rally!! We need new ones! I'm sure you'll see some beautiful landscape along your journey. Wish you the best of luck. Be safe and have fun!! :)

Pulled the valve covers today and everything looked good.
Then I finely cut open the oil filters. Those wix filter housings are tough. Found lots of very fine non magnetic metal.
So its time to pull the heads and tear it down. No rally for me this year.

I have tried to find a mechanical drawing of the compressor. I am wondering if the spring could have come from there and maybe the metal? What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Diecorpse

Hopefully you don't have any broken sleeves or melted pistons which are aluminum. I would think you would have a serious problem with you motor while running if you did, not sure what type of metals are used in the compressor or the turbo. Lots of investigating. . .

I was cleaning my shop today and came across my old hydraulic head. The spring on the piston looked familiar. I grabbed the most intact piece of chewed up spring and compared it. Same diameter and wire size!

So a couple of questions. Is there enough fuel pressure in the injector pump circuit to push the hydraulic head piston down if the spring was missing?
Could the spring get through the injector pump into the oil pan?
And can you see the spring through the inspection port on the side of IP?

I have got my hopes up but am scared to look!

PS Starting crank times have been longer lately, But its not uncommon for it to change with a particular batch of wmo depending on it's makeup.

Last edited:

brianp454

I cannot help with all of your questions, but there's no way that the spring could make it through the feed lines and injectors (the two-hole orifices are about 0.011-0.014 inch if memory serves). I wonder if it is possible the spring broke and fumbled along past the drive gears into the pan? Wish a had a spare IP or the experience to know.

Seth_O

Those seem to be big pieces to be going very far in the engine. I would suspect something dropped in the head during the last servicing that fell down the oil galleys (maybe got broken up banging around the valves in the head?) I drained my oil and played the 'what is this?' mystery metal game a while back with some interesting bits I found, pretty good sized pieces of piled-up material (ferrous metal.) I tore most of the engine down (heads off, pump out, rotated the pistons, checked the main bearings, pulled the rocker arms and lifters, removed most of the oiling system, all of the fuel system, the air compressor, etc) never found a darned thing. Engine continues to run like an absolute champ. Best of luck to you.

G-Force

I was going to say it could be a spring from your governor on your injection pump. Or it could have been a spring from an old injection pump that was changed out. you never know.

Update
As you know after pulling the sheet metal of the engine I found nothing damaged or missing. So i put it back together and it started right up and ran fine for about 15 minutes. Then I heard a sound that I would think a spring would make getting ground up and the truck died. I now have no fuel at the injectors.

I looked up the tm for the injector pump. The timing advance unit uses three springs that are approximately the same diameter and wire gauge as the pieces I collected. From the drawings it looks like it would be easy for the pieces to go by the timing gears to the pan.

Next stop pulling the injector pump.

If anyone in my neck of the woods (Oregon) has a pump for sale pleas PM me.

Sure am glad that I did not try to go to the rally. Would have been on I5 and had a big tow bill.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
John, if you think its just the gov section thats bad, I think I might have one for you. PM me some contact info.

It was a spring from the Injector pump advance unit. There are three of them in there. Mine ran for a while with one missing. When the second one came out it destroyed the advance unit and punched a hole in the advance case. Thats how I found out what it was from. The drive gears on mine had no damage at all from chopping up the springs.

chigger

I started hearing a noise a few months ago coming from the injection pump. It was a loud ticking noise that appeared to come from the mechanical fuel pump built into the side of the injection pump. The noise would go away at higher throttle. I took the mechanical pump apart and it was in perfect shape. Now I realize that the noise must be coming from the advance unit missing the spring and rattling. Thanks for the help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks