• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change those filters

FreightTrain

Banned
Changed my fuel and air filter today(package from Ted's showed up...) and was horrified when I pulled the old filters out.The fuel in the primary on the frame rail looked great.Clean,Clear,Re.....uhhh,Gree....Dumped the fuel back into the tank and towards the end I saw a flake go by so I stopped and dumped the rest in a bowl.I found 2 table spoons worth of chunks in the there.The filter was totally clogged and the bottom of the can was full.Pulled the secondaries off and the fuel was a black color with a massive gasoline smell(I ran a tank of 87 octane a little while ago.)The front had about as much rust,dirt,and other chunks in it as the primary.The rear ws much cleaner but there was a little sedament in the bottom.Luckly I the filters all did their jobs.But just cause your truck is running good doesn't mean all is well.If you don't know when they were changed last....DO IT NOW!If one of those chunks had made it past the final filter I would be on here looking for a IP and putting in my new injectors that I already have.

FreightTrain

Banned
OH yea,I would like to add,the air filter at NAPA that almost everyone uses is not correct.The Military version is a good 2 or 3 inchest larger in OD and much much heavier.The Napa fits but there is less filtration with the less paper and diameter.

kcimb

Re: RE: Change those filters

FreightTrain said:
OH yea,I would like to add,the air filter at NAPA that almost everyone uses is not correct.The Military version is a good 2 or 3 inchest larger in OD and much much heavier.The Napa fits but there is less filtration with the less paper and diameter.
The martyr machine almost lived up to it's name.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Change those filters

oh,it has on a few occasions.It totally distroyed itself getting me home from the woods 4 years ago.Gonna give it a good run tonight.Driving to the races.I was going to take it last night and race spectator class but my Co-Hort was trying to get his noodle wet or something cause he backed out........or he was just too scared to the MM!Man,If it was overfueling with the Clogged filters then what will it do now?

OH yea,can someone take apart a primary filter setup and photograph the parts?Mine didn't look quite right....

alphadeltaromeo

The in-laws took wifey and the kids to the races yesterday FT...took them forever to get home. Anyway, I also have new fuel filters that need changed. I fixed the speedo today, fixed the driver window by building a new track for the glass, put on the remote air valves and looks like I fixed the blinker as well. When the last individual worked on the blinker, that person twisted the wire up pretty good. Took it off, 3M wrapped the wires that were exposed, sanded the ground real good and put it back together. Blinkers worked...but they were intermittent prior, so it'll take a good test drive to check to see if I've completely fixed the problem.

houdel

FT - Here are the illustration and parts list from the -20P TM. Hope this helps.

Are those fuel filter elements OEM? How did they seal to the filter bases? I bought a set of Baldwin elements but the primary didn't seem to fit like the OEM filters, it had a flat top and bottom and cork gasket instead of the OEM tapered metal to metal seal.

Attachments

acetomatoco

There is no commercial air filter equivalent for the M35 MF trucks... there are some that fit, but none of the commercial units pass the CFM of the original...however under most conditions they are adequate....

dabtl

I put the jatonka spin on filter on the primary. Works great and changes quickly. I never bother to look at what the filter has in it when changing. Afraid to I suspect.

nattieleather

wix are a direct replacement....I got a mil in the box air filter that had the wix part number on it once. I also had a motor pool sgt hand me a set of primary filters from his shelfs that were baldwin so it's all good.

Bill W

Hmmm...NAPA filters are WIX filters just under napa name. Take the first number off the wix part number and the remaining will be the napa part #. I think my deuce has a oem filter in it I'll have to compare it to my napa one that I just bought

jasonjc

Srjeeper said:
Has anybody had any experience with Desert Duce's filter kits (E-bay Item 220157378381)?
the air filter looks like the one in mine ,orignal mil. I checked the part # he list for the air filter on the wix web site. It come up as a vaild part # (not theirs) but they do not have a replacment for it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks