• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Change those filters

sprucemt

This is the correct filter for the multifuel. It is a Donaldson and is 410 CFM. If you are using any other filter with less than 410CFM you are sacrifying huge airflow and horsepower. As previously stated in other post's the filters may fit but do not meet the CFM requirements. S and S Parts air filters do meet CFM requirements.

Attachments

jasonjc

What filter are better Wix or Baldwin?? I have some Wix and was price buy some more but found a Baldwin are almost $2 a pice cheaper. Are they as good or just cheaper??

sprucemt

What you may be missing here is, if the Wix filter is only 265 CFM rated as you have already stated, then the loss of horse power is excessive and the cost of the Wix filter is then negated. No different than smashing the exhaust pipe down to 1 1/2". What is the point of putting a underrated filter in the truck? The cost of wasted fuel has bearing here also. At the top end, mashing the fuel to it, trying to get more horse power that you can't get because there is not enough air going through the airfilter.

m139h2otruck

Trust what Don says, from experience, when an air filter on a diesel engine is plugged or partly blocked, power drops off rapidly and fuel use goes up and out the stack real quick. Had a Drott 40 (dating myself) on a dusty jobsite that when the air filter was getting near to ready to change, the power loss and the smoke increase was very noticeable. And this was a a little 4-53 Detroit w/o a turbo. You can't have too much fresh clean air on the intake side of a diesel.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m139h2otruck said:
Don
I can't get your link to your site to work. Any idea?
Thanks
The link works fine for me. FWIW

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW... The Army spends LOTS of time designing engine systems... They design them to use X amount of fuel, Y amount of air, ect... Using an aftermarket filter thats not rated the same as the mil one is going to somehow make the engine not perform as rated.. For the few dollars Spruce Mountain wants for the REAL DEAL, EXACT SAME ONE as Uncle Sam uses, your in better shape than some aftermarket filter that has lesser ratings.. Remember, all the aftermarket companies are worried about cost.. Thats one thing Uncle Sam didnt take much stock in. He wants PERFORMANCE at rated amounts..

Bottom line, anything less than the rated filter comes at a cost.... Which I am sure will cost you more than the cost of the right filter....

Bill W

I returned my (smaller) napa 2837 and got back my $50.00 and just ordered correct air filter from Spruce for $32.00, Heck now my truck and my wallet are breathing better now!!

sprucemt

I have had 0 failures with Baldwin filters and am quite pleased as to the quality and price. I WILL NOT make a comparison in regards to brands. Also please note; my Arizona fleet always used Donaldson air filters. They were air blown every 8 engine hours and washed every 48 engine hours. All industrials motor oils were changed at 100 engine hours.

FreightTrain

Banned
Tell ya what.After a Changed the filter the EGTs are way down.Sure,the old filter was pretty trashed after the rally but even before sucking all that dust,I could hit 1100degrees on almost any hill.Now I can hammer down.I can go several miles before I get to 1100degrees where it was a mile or less before.And this is after it can get extra fuel since those filters flow freely too.That proved to me....Civilian stuff suck.Stick to parts with NSNs on them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guess i need to change the filter on the old deuce tractor after the major dustclouds from the GA rally. I'm running low on the Donaldson air cleaners though

FreightTrain

Banned
Yea,I would.Both Wrecker and Me was standing on the side of the road for about 5-10 minutes while I beat the dust off mine just to make it home......and I stopped before the dust stopped comming off the filter.Every time I would hit it with my hand it would give a Cloud of sparkly dust in the headlights.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Guess i need to change the filter on the old deuce tractor after the major dustclouds from the GA rally. I'm running low on the Donaldson air cleaners though

ADR has promised to do a rain dance next year, so perhaps the ride will be more....challenging.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I'm not complaining, I loved the whole rally. The filter may be associated with my low power conditions and the atrocious fuel mileage I got. Glad I had the feller with the semi trailer paying for the juice. Thinking about that, I don't recall ever changing that filter.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks