• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changed Starter - Now Starter Bracket Issue

bigredlab

I recently changed the starter on my M1028 with one from a local auto parts shop that was for my engine, etc.

However, the old bracket doesn't quite work with the new starter.

Before I start drilling holes so that I can use the truck (starter, etc.), are there other brackets? If yes, where do I get them and what's the part number?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are two types off starters and two types of brackets. Only available at the dealer or junkyard.

The part numbers as listed in the CUCV Wiki and the FAQ. Also listed by me many, many, many times.

I'm on my cell phone or I would post the pictures and part numbers again.

You did keep your old starter to rebuild and keep as a spare did't you?

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Place both starters side by side to see if they are different, chances are you got the newer style gear reduction one (smaller motor diameter). The following will get you headed in the right direction.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/15551-starter-bracket-bolt-size.html

GM dealers MIGHT have them is stock. My GMC dealer had the starter bolts but not the bracket. They are getting ready to discontinue them, get them while you can.

Last edited:

bigredlab

There are two types off starters and two types of brackets. Only available at the dealer or junkyard.

The part numbers as listed in the CUCV Wiki and the FAQ. Also listed by me many, many, many times.

I'm on my cell phone or I would post the pictures and part numbers again.

You did keep your old starter to rebuild and keep as a spare did't you?
Unfortunately, didn't keep the starter as its housing was cracked and had significant bearing damage inside.

I will take a look in the FAQ . . .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
fwiw, housings and bearings can be replaced.

scoutmanadam

starters are not terribly hard to rebuild. i did the one if my deuce. i just went to the local starter, alternator rebuild place and they were able to get me all the parts i needed and even gave me a few tips when i told them what it was for. mine needed a bendix and i replaced the bearing and such while i had it apart. total parts were like 65 bucks. it worth the hour or so it takes.

epitts

Compliments of Worthog

GM 15544950 - Starter Bolt
GM 14060613 - Starter Bracket Bolt - M8 x 1.25 x 20 (hardware store)
GM 14028931 - Starter Bracket - old style Direct Drive starter
GM 23502557 - Starter Bracket - new style Gear Reduction starter