• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

changed timing, smoke cleared some, help me understand!

hfmt93

The truck was running good for 1500+ miles then on the interstate lost power and died.

I have searched everything i can find, looked at the tm's.

Found that the white smoke im having after the incident is a timing problem.

Turned the ip counter clockwise (from drivers seat) and it seemed to clear up some.

What does this mean?

Why would it suddenly change after so much good driving?

Read something about diesel timing light. What is this? can i do it myself?

Should I try new fuel? and how without draining tank? can I just stick a line to the mechanical pump to a temp tank I put high up on my roof?

What should I do? Im new to diesels. please point me in the right direction, the learning curve is steep and need some direction.

Thanks

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You advanced the timing, but I think you still have another problem. You can get an adapter for your electrical timing light that clamps to the fuel injection line, Ferret 765 Diesel Timing Adapter and lights when the fuel pulse is sent to the injector, but this method results in about 8 degrees of error, i.e. if the timing light indicates 0 degrees (no advance) you are in reality about 8 degrees ATDC, or retarded. I would check filters, then the injection pump would be my next focus.

Is the truck running now?, since you changed the timing?

Last edited:

beaubeau

I would try some new Diesel, add diesel conditioner, and be sure air passages are clear. Timing is difficult . I am assuming this is a Deuce, or a M1008, regardless, same diff. Clean fuel filters and air cleaner. Be sure to check all Duct work, in case some Critter built a home in the Duct.

hfmt93

air filter is off, everything looks clear.

Replaced fuel filter, cut the old one open, no microbial growth. The diesel smells like diesel.

Can I hook a line from a temp tank on my roof to the inlet side of the fuel pump? Would there be enough pressure? Or is there a better way to eliminate bad diesel?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You should be able to hook up the way you described, the lift pump should have no problem puming fuel to the IP.

tanhmmwv

If you changed the timing, you should really check the crank pulley bolt and make sure it did not loosen up. This happened to me and wore the keyway out. This could be why your injector pump timinh is off.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you changed the timing, you should really check the crank pulley bolt and make sure it did not loosen up. This happened to me and wore the keyway out. This could be why your injector pump timinh is off.
I don't think the harmonic balancer is connected to the front crankshaft gear.

acmunro

If you do use a different container for a fuel supply, you should also run your fuel return line to this container. Otherwise your return fuel will go to your main tank. Your truck will suck down a few gallons of fuel pretty quickly if the return is going to your main tank.

Also another possibility is the return check valve on the injector pump. If it clogs from the retaining ring breakdown inside the pump, It advances the timing. If you set the timing back it may have covered this problem up for the time being. If the check valve is pluging up from debris inside the Injector Pump. You will have to replace the pump to fix the problem. Good Luck.

hfmt93

Today I ran it with new fuel. Same problem.

From looking at the manual, it seems I should pull off the water pump plate and look at the alignment marks on the injection pump gear and cam gear.

As acumunro said, the temp. fuel tank ran out very quickly without the return going to it. But, my smoke cleared some when I advanced it (turned the pump to the drivers side).
If you do use a different container for a fuel supply, you should also run your fuel return line to this container. Otherwise your return fuel will go to your main tank. Your truck will suck down a few gallons of fuel pretty quickly if the return is going to your main tank.

Also another possibility is the return check valve on the injector pump. If it clogs from the retaining ring breakdown inside the pump, It advances the timing. If you set the timing back it may have covered this problem up for the time being. If the check valve is pluging up from debris inside the Injector Pump. You will have to replace the pump to fix the problem. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks