• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing all 4 belts.

darksoldier305

So today I'm attempting to change the belts on my 1990 m998. It looks like I need to pull the fan assembly off to replace them. I've looked through the manuals and all I could find was adjustments not what actually needs to come off to do the job. I'm new to humvees I just got it last week and I'm not that car savey but am pretty quick at catching on. Any advice from you fellas that have been messing with these trucks for a long time would be appriciated.

darksoldier305

It looks like most guys do that but I'm unsure. It looks like the fan is connected to the pully outside the shroud. I assume but can see that it's also going to be connected inside the shroud.

infidel got me

You can slide them over the fan. Disconnect hydraulic line from fan clutch and slide em' in. Have a few rags handy to clean up all the blood (you will be cut) You can pm General Hood about changing any ft. eng/water pump related work as he has had his apart 6 or 7 times in the past few weeks. Sorry G.H. had to throw that in..... lol

orgnal

So today I'm attempting to change the belts on my 1990 m998. It looks like I need to pull the fan assembly off to replace them. I've looked through the manuals and all I could find was adjustments not what actually needs to come off to do the job. I'm new to humvees I just got it last week and I'm not that car savey but am pretty quick at catching on. Any advice from you fellas that have been messing with these trucks for a long time would be appriciated.
You don't remove the fan. You loosen the alternator bolts for removing two of the belts. You loosen power steering pump bracket bolts for removing the other two belts. You need a half inch breaker bar and there are slots for it to tension the belt when you put new ones on. There is just enough space between the fan shroud and the fan for the belts to be removed around the fan. However, you have to disconnect the hydraulic fan clutch hose that connects to the fan shroud. This is a PITA. There is no easy way to do this.

McReddy

darksoldier305

You don't remove the fan. You loosen the alternator bolts for removing two of the belts. You loosen power steering pump bracket bolts for removing the other two belts. You need a half inch breaker bar and there are slots for it to tension the belt when you put new ones on. There is just enough space between the fan shroud and the fan for the belts to be removed around the fan. However, you have to disconnect the hydraulic fan clutch hose that connects to the fan shroud. This is a PITA. There is no easy way to do this.

McReddy
Thanks for the informative post. I am in the garage as we speak stumped and frustrated so here I am to ask what might seem simple to a vet but this newbie is stuck. Got the belts on. I've loosened the bolt behind the alternator for the ps pump, top bolt and bottom bolt in the slider slot, main alt bracket bolt, bottom alt bolt and alt pivot bolt. I've pryed and it doesn't budge. I can wiggle it slightly but the ps pully won't budge what am I missing? Thanks in advance.

orgnal

Thanks for the informative post. I am in the garage as we speak stumped and frustrated so here I am to ask what might seem simple to a vet but this newbie is stuck. Got the belts on. I've loosened the bolt behind the alternator for the ps pump, top bolt and bottom bolt in the slider slot, main alt bracket bolt, bottom alt bolt and alt pivot bolt. I've pryed and it doesn't budge. I can wiggle it slightly but the ps pully won't budge what am I missing? Thanks in advance.
I would strongly recommended looking at the TM diagram to make sure you loosened the three alternator bolts. There is one at the bottom front, one at the back opposite to this and the third is the one in front and top and is the true tension adjustment bolt. It slides in the curved slot. Also, depending on what alternator you have, it might be slightly different. PS: It is too dark right now to get any pictures of the alternator bolts on my HMMWV.

McReddy

NormB

Just remember that no project on a HMMWV is complete without a blood sacrifice!
No kidding, and a few milligrams to grams of flesh.

Couldn’t figure out where the drops of blood were coming from today until I washed my hands really well and felt the sting. No clue how or what got me, but I’ve got skin and blood all over that truck.

Thinking of nicknaming it “Cyborg.”

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stick with it. Yes there is one bolt that is extremely hard to see. Obviously you have to loosen that one too. A breaker bar once everything is loose is handy for pushing them to their maximum slack position. You'll get there!
Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks